Is Uv light good for new tank aquarium bacteria . Tank is only 2 weeks old

40ways2doit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i just started a 40 gal breeder. I have a prime 16 and a sun sun 304a uv canister filter with phosguard from fluval inside and media and polish and sponge. The tank is 2 weeks old . Will the uv light and phosguard prolong the nitrogen cycle or the ammonia nitrite cycles? Any tips appreciated! :)

image.jpg

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No impact from UV should be noticed if using correctly. UV filter only affects organisms that pass through it. The nitrifying bacteria we're concerned aren't in the water column in any significant numbers for it to be a concern. The phosphate media shouldn't have any measurable impact either. Getting into bio available phosphate I'm sure will have some theoretical impact but it's not going to impact you setting up your tank.

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The UV will sterilize whatever is in the water column while the bacteria you want for cycling a tank lives on surfaces like your rock so theoretically, it should be fine to run UV in a cycling tank.

That said, Bulk Reef Supply ran a few experiments running UV in new tanks and the ones that did had much worse algae problems. I’m assuming that running UV early on is enough to kill off some of the important bacteria that acts as competition keeping algae at bay. It’s worth checking out.

If it were me, I’d only run UV when there is a bacterial bloom / cloudy water to clear things up but wait at least six months before running it full time.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The UV will sterilize whatever is in the water column while the bacteria you want for cycling a tank lives on surfaces like your rock so theoretically, it should be fine to run UV in a cycling tank.

That said, Bulk Reef Supply ran a few experiments running UV in new tanks and the ones that did had much worse algae problems. I’m assuming that running UV early on is enough to kill off some of the important bacteria that acts as competition keeping algae at bay. It’s worth checking out.

If it were me, I’d only run UV when there is a bacterial bloom / cloudy water to clear things up but wait at least six months before running it full time.

Exactly

OP
OP

40ways2doit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wow that def a long video lol but i will check it out. Thanks alot!!!

OP
OP

40ways2doit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Great suggestion 100%

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 162 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back