Is Vibrant too risky for a 13 gal tank?

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bubble algae that needs to be dealt with in a 13 gal tank with mostly zoas and no fish. It sounds like a crab would mess with or eat the zoas and some say Vibrant is too risky for use in a small tank. Any opinions?

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! The problem with the crab is that I do not have a ton of other algae, so I am concerned that it would make quick work of the bubble algae and start working on the corals.

Murphs_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested with vibrant. In my view it does about as much harm that it does good. The GHA, it really did help with but over the course I did notice that the microfauna did terribly. In the end there was little good algae left and pods etc had been fully depleted. It's taken months to recover from it. I wished that I had just manually removed and put the right amount of snails in, which by the way would have been cheaper .

Bubble algae can be taken care of with emerald crabs easy enough and if your worried about it long terms (no reason to in my books) it's easy enough to remove later.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. Just scale your Vibrant down— even under-dose if need be, and just be more patient. (As in weeks, to see results.) Get an Emerald Crab. If he turns out to be a terror on your Zoas, you should be able to grab him out of a 13 gallon with tongs. When all the algae is gone, feed your pet crab algae pellets.

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I use Vibrant and accidentally pop one, is that a problem? This all started because I accidentally popped a single bubble I found on a frag. I would like to get a crab, but I have some small frags and 5 mins with a crab would be all it would take for them to disappear. Do you think I still should not be too concerned?

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS usually has Emerald crabs S, Med., Lg... if you think your corals are tiny, since you only have a 13-gal. to clear up, maybe get two small ones and keep an eye on things. Also, if your corals aren't attached, can you raise them onto a magnetic frag rack until the crabs do their thing? But expect it to take some weeks, unless you want to throw in about 6-8 larger crabs-- which I wouldn't recommend for you. Best wishes. :cool:

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I use Vibrant and accidentally pop one, is that a problem? This all started because I accidentally popped a single bubble I found on a frag. I would like to get a crab, but I have some small frags and 5 mins with a crab would be all it would take for them to disappear. Do you think I still should not be too concerned?
Imo dont get an emerald crab they have been observed eating coral in the wild and ive personally had them eat zoas.

From wiki
"It is often to be seen among the branches of corals such as the finger coral (Porites furcata) where it feeds on the polyps. It uses its chelae alternately, gathering a polyp with one claw while it feeds on a polyp held in the other. It has been observed to gather and consume ten polyps in a minute."
Source https://archive.org/details/marineinvertebra00patr_0/page/367/mode/2up

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would avoid the Vibrant. It tends to blast your biodiversity, which will just encourage other pest algaes to pop up as soon as you stop dosing. And you can't dose it forever. If you're really unlucky, it can even let dinos turn up.

What have you tried to get rid of the bubble algae?

I would agree with the suggestion of emerald crabs and a frag rack. They can't climb glass, so corals up on a rack would be safe.

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid the Vibrant. It tends to blast your biodiversity, which will just encourage other pest algaes to pop up as soon as you stop dosing. And you can't dose it forever. If you're really unlucky, it can even let dinos turn up.

What have you tried to get rid of the bubble algae?

I would agree with the suggestion of emerald crabs and a frag rack. They can't climb glass, so corals up on a rack would be safe.
Not yet. Just over the last 2 days it has started to show up everywhere. Won't an emerald crab just keep popping them and keep the cycle going?

Murphs_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that's right. I have emerald crabs in the sump (fuge) and in the DT though, I don't bother tanking them out the display anymore. They don't really go after anything other than algae.. I seen one swipe at a fish for getting to close a few months back but nothing that worried me.

I have had bubble algae in come in a couple of times on frag plugs, it's always taken care of quickly enough by the crabs

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 33 29.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%

Back