Is white pipe, purple primer & glue safe for a reef?

Lenny

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you use white plastic (PVC?) pipe, purple primer and glue to plumb a tank for a reef system?

patent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that's probably the most common.

I think you are talking about schedule 40 pvc pipe, which is standard though schedule 80 is fine.

Purple primer is fine.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All is fine even the black abs that supposedly contains some chemical or something to reduce algae it's hog wash!!!! I have used it all lol... Even been in some great debates with some of the best...;)

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes- just let them dry before using them and you'll be totally good to go. If you are impatient (or in a rush) you can usually start using them within 20-30 minutes, just run some extra carbon to pull out any contaminants- be careful though, the water will change the reaction (they're solvents after all, not glue's) and can change how well the bond works.

OP
OP
L

Lenny

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that's probably the most common.

I think you are talking about schedule 40 pvc pipe, which is standard though schedule 80 is fine.

Purple primer is fine.

Yes, schedule 40 pvc pipe and that is great to hear! :bigsmile:

OP
OP
L

Lenny

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had any issues.

Thanks!

All is fine even the black abs that supposedly contains some chemical or something to reduce algae it's hog wash!!!! I have used it all lol... Even been in some great debates with some of the best...;)

Cool!

yes- just let them dry before using them and you'll be totally good to go. If you are impatient (or in a rush) you can usually start using them within 20-30 minutes, just run some extra carbon to pull out any contaminants- be careful though, the water will change the reaction (they're solvents after all, not glue's) and can change how well the bond works.

Thanks for the info! How long until it is fully cured?

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
refer to the can for info- it depends which one you use. Personally I always do purple primer + hot blue glue, but it's just cause I do anything the overkill method.

edit: plus I'll admit my day just gets more happy after using purple primer in a closed cabinet...:xd:

Last edited:

meisen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using it for couple of decades and no obvious issues I could trace back the plumbing. It is interesting to note that some municipal code does not allow the use of pvc for drinking water supply in construction though (did they ever? I have seen houses plumbed with it but always wondered if it was legit). For most people though, it's going to be something else like a stuck heater, alk overdose, topoff failure, lighting disaster etc that gonna get your reef. Long before any possible leachate from PVC gets it anyway.

I personally like to do my priming/bonding first, get the system all buttoned up and tight. Then I run FW in the system for a few days then remove and add the saltwater my animals will be going into. Seems like it can't hurt to isolate them from the solvents. I know that if I am working with the stuff for a few hours in a closed in space my mind starts to wander.....

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using it for couple of decades and no obvious issues I could trace back the plumbing. It is interesting to note that some municipal code does not allow the use of pvc for drinking water supply in construction though (did they ever? I have seen houses plumbed with it but always wondered if it was legit).

I bet that those same municipalities do allow them for main lines. I would guess that 90%+ of new water lines installed in the ground today are PVC. Not sure why they wouldn't allow them in a house.

CJ

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ABS isn't allowed for supply lines, only drain lines- is that what's being thought of maybe? Or are you thinking of hot water lines? PVC isn't allowed for hot lines, but CPVC and a few other 'varieties' of PVC are heat strengthened and up to code for hot lines.

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using it for years with no problems. I have primered glued and had the pieces running on a tank in 10 minutes with no problem

bob

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I agree. I've added a manifold to my return PVC before, using purple primer and glue, and had the tank running 30 minutes after I glued it. No problems.

For creating the plumbing, I piece things together, then draw a line between pieces so I know where it lines up when I finally glue it together.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back