Is YouTube and Social Media Counterproductive to Successful Reefkeeping?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
For the producers, it definitely can be because it takes so much more time when you have to record everything! For content consumers, I’d say it’s helpful without a doubt

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

YouTube Channel
View Badges
Reaction score
For the producers, it definitely can be because it takes so much more time when you have to record everything! For content consumers, I’d say it’s helpful without a doubt
Yeah it is a ton of extra work to record, edit, upload, and configure videos. But my question is if the videos themselves are helpful or hurtful to reefing. Probably a little of both, but I know there are some strong opinions out there. Thanks!

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

YouTube Channel
View Badges
Reaction score
Surprised not a lot of action here Matt.
Good question.
I'll say yes, most definitely.
Thanks! Yeah, my threads are usually pretty light. I’m just asking because it seems there is a bias against those that make videos in the reefing community. (Maybe correctly so.) My intent is to help and learn, but if people assume the worst about it without even looking, then maybe I will find another way to share.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Personally I think you tube is a mess and I’d never use it for reefing unless it’s a macna speaker etc… 95% of YouTube is people in for the likes and money which is pathetic! All these so called reef Influencers hahahahahaha! I’m sure a good 80% of them don’t even maintain there tanks.

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

YouTube Channel
View Badges
Reaction score
Personally I think you tube is a mess and I’d never use it for reefing unless it’s a macna speaker etc… 95% of YouTube is people in for the likes and money which is pathetic! All these so called reef Influencers hahahahahaha! I’m sure a good 80% of them don’t even maintain there tanks.
I agree with you on this. That’s part of my problem also. YouTube has made video makers into marketers. I have zero interest selling goods and can afford the reefing hobby just by working my day job. I am not an influencer, but it seems I am guilty by association. Lol.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
I agree with you on this. That’s part of my problem also. YouTube has made video makers into marketers. I have zero interest selling goods and can afford the reefing hobby just by working my day job. I am not an influencer, but it seems I am guilty by association. Lol.
I don’t feel that way.. you do a lot Informational videos which I feel help a lot people and the advice you give is pretty solid.. I’m not gonna mention names but they know who they are! Haha!

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

YouTube Channel
View Badges
Reaction score
I don’t feel that way.. you do a lot Informational videos which I feel help a lot people and the advice you give is pretty solid.. I’m not gonna mention names but they know who they are! Haha!
Thanks. And I’m not looking for a poll on my reefing and/or vids, I don’t need validation. It’s just confusing to discover the truth about it all, but I will never sell out my ethics or morals for free crap either. I guess the point of this post is to see where my energy is best spent, and let others voice their opinions on the subject as well.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Thanks. And I’m not looking for a poll on my reefing and/or vids, I don’t need validation. It’s just confusing to discover the truth about it all, but I will never sell out my ethics or morals for free crap either. I guess the point of this post is to see where my energy is best spent, and let others voice their opinions on the subject as well.
I’d say your best energy spent would be, being you lol! I agree it’s confusing and these forums make it much more confusing with thousands of inquiring minds haha! I’ve said it a million times find someone successful and follow them and learn from them cause we all know what works for one doesn’t work for the other! So many ways to keep reef tanks today and so many additives it’s crazy that 10 years ago we didn’t have all these elements and icp testing and blah blah blah… I still keep it simple and old skool with nothing more than high light, good flow, and skimmer for filtration with nothing else but carbon dosing which I’ve done since the first month I got into this game and was following Sunny x way before social media and all the other luxuries we have today such as YouTube etc.. if I had stepped into this hobby for the first time today I think I’d be overwhelmed with everything that’s going on haha! It was simple and basic reef keeping back then and still is today as it’s just the fundamentals and that’s what works!

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
This is an interesting question Matt. I do think that YT and social has helped increase the popularity of the hobby quite a bit and there are a lot of really good new reefers that may not have started without YT/social.

That said there are probably a lot of people that spent a lot of time and money and aquatic lives learning the hard way that sw tanks are not all peaches and cream all of the time.

I would say that there is a lot of good information available through YT/social but, of course, there is also a lot of junk. It can be hard for someone newer into the hobby to separate the informed opinion from the naive opinion when in general most of the tanks presented look like showpieces. I think the best videos come in three forms, seminar-type (like MACNA presentations), vendor videos (hopefully taken with an appropriate pinch of salt) and reefing journeys (those that share their journey mostly unedited--and with the humility that we are all just doing our best).

When I started in the hobby, specific sw aquarium information was spotty with just a few authors and publishers (Spotte, Wilkens, de Graff, etc. and Wiley and TFH, etc.). When magazine sources like FAMA started, it was a sea change in the hobby. The information was only a few months old when you read it. Books became commonly available and, just like today's YT/social, varied greatly in their furtherance of the hobby.

Today we have a wealth of information readily available at the press of a few keys or even a voice command to your digital assistant. YT/social played a major part in that availability so I am glad it exists. The problem hasn't really changed, just amplified tremendously, it is up to the reader/viewer to curate and cross-check the content.

melvingoodman

View Badges
Reaction score
I understand the concerns about YouTube and social media's influence on the hobby. While these platforms can offer valuable information and inspiration, they also present risks. Sometimes, oversimplified tutorials or flashy trends can lead to inexperienced reefkeepers making mistakes or overlooking essential aspects of husbandry. However, with critical thinking and research, YouTube and social media can be valuable tools for learning and connecting with fellow enthusiasts, ultimately enhancing rather than hindering successful reefkeeping. It's all about finding a balance and relying on trusted sources.

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

YouTube Channel
View Badges
Reaction score
YT and social media is a great help, until it's not.

Sadly many places have used their social media success to charge triple to Quadruple prices.
Oh absolutely! I am finding out real quick that YT is largely a marketing machine. I feel naive sometimes that I can participate in that realm without trying to sell things. But I am stubborn enough to not get corrupted. Lol.

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
I think it can go both ways honestly. On one hand, you have YouTubers (like yourself) who provide very informative videos that can help give a more visual idea of certain parts of the hobby. On the other hand, false information can spread like wildfire across facebook, twitter, etc.. All it takes is one person to make a post, and everyone runs with it. I guess I lean on both sides of it being good and bad haha

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

YouTube Channel
View Badges
Reaction score
I think it can go both ways honestly. On one hand, you have YouTubers (like yourself) who provide very informative videos that can help give a more visual idea of certain parts of the hobby. On the other hand, false information can spread like wildfire across facebook, twitter, etc.. All it takes is one person to make a post, and everyone runs with it. I guess I lean on both sides of it being good and bad haha
Thanks, but I’m not a YouTuber, bud. Lol! I’m a Reefer. Yeah, I make sure to say, “ This is what works for my tanks” as often as possible to explain that my methods won’t always work for everyone. I just share what I do without pretending I am an authority on anything reef related.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 88 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 55 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back