Island of sand?

Naoxyn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to create an island of sand in the middle of your rock structure and not have it get all over the tank while still maintaining a good flow over and around it?

The goal would be to have the clean look of a bare bottom while still being able to enjoy sand loving livestock in a limited section of the tank.

In freshwater, they can segment off certain portions for different substrates using small baffles, but they obviously have a lot less flow.

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to create an island of sand in the middle of your rock structure and not have it get all over the tank while still maintaining a good flow over and around it?

The goal would be to have the clean look of a bare bottom while still being able to enjoy sand loving livestock in a limited section of the tank.

In freshwater, they can segment off certain portions for different substrates using small baffles, but they obviously have a lot less flow.

Almost certainly not. The fish, inverts, and flow will likely move the sand out of your sand island. Just this evening my trigger decided that he needed to dig into my sand and he would up making a mess throwing sand all over the tank.

eag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen folks keeping wrasse use a small container to keep sand in... A tupperware or similar. The lip helps prevent it from going everywhere, though some always escapes :)

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen folks keeping wrasse use a small container to keep sand in... A tupperware or similar. The lip helps prevent it from going everywhere, though some always escapes :)

I tried that while I was putting a wrasse through quarantine. Sand still got everywhere... the lip did little to prevent it. Although in this case I think it was mostly spread about by the wrasse as he entered and left the sand bed since there wasn’t a significant amount of flow in my QT.

driftin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank did it by accident... very fine grain sand and water flow from the back corners that shot up the sides, around the front... it blew all the sand off the perimeter and to the middle. It may be easy to replicate depending on the shape and layout of your tank, but it drove me crazy till I added a heavier particle size and adjusted my pumps a bit.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 41.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back