What sand for shallow SPS frag tank?

WaterBox INFINIA Frag 155

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will soon have a long shallow frag intended for SPS - Its a waterbox frag 155 (150x54x41cm). I have a large overhang island scape and I want high flow both above and below the platform. But i want a thin fine sand look and I am concerned about bare spots.

20240204_002053.jpg

My plan was to have a fake sand bed to achieve the fine grain white sand look but with big flow and no bare patches but I read that it will soon get covered in coraline algae. I love the shallow sand bed look but i dont like the crushed alage look. What is the smallest particle size i can get away with? I have one Al nero 5 and i plan a second when i have filled it up a bit. I understand this will be quite a lot of flow for such a shallow tank.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a stunning scape! well done, can't wait to see your full setup! :star-struck:

As for the sand, I'd go with either CaribSea Special Grade- or Aragonite. With high flow though, it will be hard to avoid any dunes and any sand being blown around - specially in a shallow tank.

I know you don't like the crushed coral look- but it is the easiest by far in a high flow environment..

Have you considered bare bottom? It will be a pain for the first 12-18 months but will gradually get better.

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I think you would be better off with no sand at all. Having adequate flow for acros while simultaneously having no bare spots is going to be very hard, if not impossible to pull off.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back