ISO HUGE tank photos! / story time

Lugubrious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for dimensional inspiration for building a new tank.

Show me your massive set ups, 350 gallon plus! I can't decide how big/how to style the set up but I want it to feel large and deep (LOL)

Story time; we just bought a house and I want to build a more permanent system.

I've been reefing for 3 years and have by large had tremendous success, but ended sadly. My previous system was a 400 gallons split between two tanks (250,50 frag flat) and two large sumps. It was a beautiful thriving system of high ends, lots of euphyllia, rainbow chalice variants, high end zoas, and of course SPS. I had the mixed reef going well and a HUGE tang gang, I had 6 zebrasomas, Achilles, blue tang pairs. It was a dream.

Well, my greed of wanting a ritteri got the best of me, I could. Not. Keep a ritteri alive period. Hospital tanks, cipro treatments, you name it. They all did exactly the same thing let go, flopped mouth first into the sand overnight and started puking and melting. Like clockwork. I occasionally had some torches decide to bail around this time and looking back I think I had a RTN/STN/bacterial issue either in my sand or generally in the water colum.

Well I got another ritteri this time skipped all the BS just chucked him in the frag tank, and it was doing great for a few days I had my hopes up.

I come home one day to him stuck to my gyre. I totally spaced on putting my nem guards in. I gad been so diligent about protecting them in the DT that I didn't even think about me not doing the frag tanks pumps.

Within 5 minutes of my return, the frag tank was already very cloudy white and I saw distressed swimming in a few fish.

I pulled the nem, trash can had bigger problems to focus on.

Started gathering dead fish and throwing the live guys in the DT.

I had a choice to make, since the tanks were one system I could close off the frag side and trap the toxins dooming everything in that tank to certain death, fish I couldn't see/a whole flat of expensive torches or let it continue to run

I thought that letting the system run would dillute the toxins enough to not be too problematic, at least for the fish, I figured whatever that 1/8th of nem that got chopped wouldn't be too drastic spread over 400+ gallons I wanted to save everyone left.

This was my choice, it was the wrong choice.

Within a few minutes of getting fish out of the concentrated frag tank and into the DT. Fish were dying in the DT. It was heartbreaking knowing this was happening, that I just made the wrong choice and it's too late now it's happening and no reversing. It was the smaller and more frail fish first, copperband, blue tang, small yellow tangs Achilles.

At this point I drove 20 minutes and got 100 gallons of salt water trying to rectify what I could, shouts out to murrmans reef for coming to my aid.

When I returned home it was a catastrophe 90% of everything was dead fish wise, but I still did a water change for the sake of the few and corals.

This was the end of reefing for me. I liquidated my equipment and coral to the store and had them take everything with the quickness. I couldn't stand to see the reminder of failure in my living room, a litteral graveyard.

Upon breakdown we found a few fish living. Some how, all my OG fish buddies survived. The first round of fish I bought after cycling was miraculously still alive. I had a pair of watchmen along with their pistol shrimp, a pair of clowns, and my big purple tang, the king of the tank.

I had extreme mixed emotions about it, I had already committed to getting rid of the tank they were cleaning me out.

I wanted to keep the remaining fish, I felt I owed them a good life, outside if this incident my fish were thriving, it was IMHO understocked for a 250 DT and everyone had their own space I knew I would provide that more then anyone else throwing them in a 10g after buying them.

Ultimately they kept the fish themselves in the shop display hopefully I can return for them after this. I think I'm ready to give it another shot. I'm not stocking the tank until I have a happy ritteri(or two) in it that nem is very important to me, they are the whole reason I got into the hobby. heteractis magnifica.

I'm here to see your big tanks, but I wrote this to help others avoid the same fate as me.

reefnfun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one thing to consider 24" high keeps your armpit out of the water. Deeper than that you have to use the grabbers. my tank is a 240 and does not qualify for this thread.

OP
OP
L

Lugubrious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one thing to consider 24" high keeps your armpit out of the water. Deeper than that you have to use the grabbers. my tank is a 240 and does not qualify for this thread.
Hahah yeah my 250 was 24 deep and I still needed grabbers for a lot of stuff since it was eurobraced.

Not to mention it'll never get in the house if I go taller unfortunately. Admittedly I would love something 4ft tall. Well love the look.

OP
OP
L

Lugubrious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahah yeah my 250 was 24 deep and I still needed grabbers for a lot of stuff since it was eurobraced.

Not to mention it'll never get in the house if I go taller unfortunately. Admittedly I would love something 4ft tall.
Plan for an adjacent fish room - something I wish I had for all my tank maintenance, etc.
In terms of storage for supplies or a room for filtration?

I'm considering building a sort of wall/falsewall for it and to hide everything/give me 360° access

jdpiii3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
72x36x36 definitely feels huge and deep wish I would have went a bit longer though.
20220802_134411.jpg
20220802_134304.jpg
20220802_134241.jpg
20220802_134235.jpg
20220802_134356.jpg
20220802_134428.jpg

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are pictures of my old aquarium system dual plywood displays (480 96"Lx48"Wx24"T & (720 96"Lx48"Wx36"T) that were linked together with a fish room for a total water volume of ~1600 gallons. The display tanks were side by side with a fish room on the end with a walking platform behind the aquarium.

My new display tank (bottom pictures) will be 4200 gallons L shaped but as a rectangle the aquarium will be 36'Lx6'Wx34"T and will hold ~32" of water. The fish room for this system is already running with in the utility room of my basement with 2100 gallons.

20200803_213638.jpg

20200803_213701.jpg

20220620_182853.jpg
IMG_20220620_133137_416.jpg

jdpiii3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! How do you like the height at this point?
I like the height it does make cleaning at the sand bed difficult at times but with all the great tools I very rarely need to go shoulder deep in the system.

Optically with the tank being at the entry of my home anything shorter just didn't look right.

OP
OP
L

Lugubrious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are pictures of my old aquarium system dual plywood displays (480 96"Lx48"Wx24"T & (720 96"Lx48"Wx36"T) that were linked together with a fish room for a total water volume of ~1600 gallons. The display tanks were side by side with a fish room on the end with a walking platform behind the aquarium.

My new display tank (bottom pictures) will be 4200 gallons L shaped but as a rectangle the aquarium will be 36'Lx6'Wx34"T and will hold ~32" of water. The fish room for this system is already running with in the utility room of my basement with 2100 gallons.

20200803_213638.jpg

20200803_213701.jpg

20220620_182853.jpg
IMG_20220620_133137_416.jpg
The completed ones are plywood builds? Do you have any good resources for reading on proper building techniques?

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to see the progress thats about the size om planning on. 96x48x24
Ill be making a build thread on it soon. But for now best place to follow along is on instagram @TheDragonsReef. And we got it from glass cages, i think some things couldve been done a little better but overall im happy with it. They made it exactly to our blue prints and it was definitely not an everyday tank. Very solid build.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The completed ones are plywood builds? Do you have any good resources for reading on proper building techniques?

Yes those were plywood aquariums. There are many build threads on R2R that go into detail on their builld's. I have some youtube videos out there on my builds. I modeled my plywood aquariums off the video series from the King of DIY plywood builds. I made some modifications to the design as needed for my builds. My new 4200 gallon design is my own design inspired by other builds I have seen as it has a plywood composite bottom but all sides will be glass.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In terms of storage for supplies or a room for filtration?
I'm considering building a sort of wall/falsewall for it and to hide everything/give me 360° access
Storage, supplies, frag tang, laundry sink, power, water station, etc.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back