ISO Potters angel

Braxtong123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a potters angel or even a pair preferably. I’m willing to make the drive within reason if someone has one to offer. I know it’s a long shot but i was hoping someone was maybe having problems with one nipping in their reef that they were looking to rehome. Thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looking for a potters angel or even a pair preferably. I’m willing to make the drive within reason if someone has one to offer. I know it’s a long shot but i was hoping someone was maybe having problems with one nipping in their reef that they were looking to rehome. Thanks!
With Hawaii collection issue, they’re extremely rare for the past several months

OP
OP
Braxtong123

Braxtong123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You and me both, I am hoping the Hawaiian ban is lifted soon.
So desperate that I taped a picture of a potters angel to my tank until I get one.
Haha! We can all hope. It doesn’t seem like it will be lifted any time soon unfortunately

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the look and personality with Potters.... if you can't find one ( or two) what about an Eibli?....have one here, and really hardy fish, not quite the look, but still striking colouration with the grey, orange, red , light blue. And that orange ring around the eye! ....ok Eibli Fan Club, had to make their pitch! ;)

OP
OP
Braxtong123

Braxtong123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the look and personality with Potters.... if you can't find one ( or two) what about an Eibli?....have one here, and really hardy fish, not quite the look, but still striking colouration with the grey, orange, red , light blue. And that orange ring around the eye! ....ok Eibli Fan Club, had to make their pitch! ;)
Yeah i agree they are also a beautiful fish but it’s just not the same for me

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful fish but a well known major nipper of coral. If your coral is easily irritated, probably not a good choice mixing this fish and your coral

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on HOW badly you want one, there was a really neat thread here about the collection laws in Hawaii. Apparently if you don't plan to sell them and you use the right kinds of nets, individuals are totally allowed to capture and keep Hawaiian fish for personal use. Could make a family vacation out if it!

OP
OP
Braxtong123

Braxtong123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful fish but a well known major nipper of coral. If your coral is easily irritated, probably not a good choice mixing this fish and your coral
Yeah I’m aware. This fish won’t be going in a tank with coral

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vossen Aquatics and Biota are both working on breeding them. Obviously this is a far off thing… I am hopeful tho!

OP
OP
Braxtong123

Braxtong123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on HOW badly you want one, there was a really neat thread here about the collection laws in Hawaii. Apparently if you don't plan to sell them and you use the right kinds of nets, individuals are totally allowed to capture and keep Hawaiian fish for personal use. Could make a family vacation out if it!
So the funny thing is i actually legally collected fish in the past in Hawaii. It’s not as easy as it sounds. I will be going back in January and the idea of giving it another try has been riding in the back of my head. My uncle lives there so i can pretty much visit any time I want.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Getting it back to the states is probably difficult. Someone here just had all their snails and hermit crabs confiscated by the airlines coming back from Hawaii.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting it back to the states is probably difficult. Someone here just had all their snails and hermit crabs confiscated by the airlines coming back from Hawaii.
Hawaii is a state! I'm surprised that they had the hermits confiscated. I wonder if they provided the airline with the printed copies of the laws. I think one could get around this by printing the laws out and having an email from a DNR official that says it's legal and allowed.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the funny thing is i actually legally collected fish in the past in Hawaii. It’s not as easy as it sounds. I will be going back in January and the idea of giving it another try has been riding in the back of my head. My uncle lives there so i can pretty much visit any time I want.
I can imagine that it's quite tricky. The laws do explicitly permit this, so I think it's worth it to try.

OP
OP
Braxtong123

Braxtong123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hawaii is a state! I'm surprised that they had the hermits confiscated. I wonder if they provided the airline with the printed copies of the laws. I think one could get around this by printing the laws out and having an email from a DNR official that says it's legal and allowed.
Exactly. They will try to do something about it if you don’t have any proof. If you do, they lay off and let you through

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly. They will try to do something about it if you don’t have any proof. If you do, they lay off and let you through
I recently proposed collecting local starfish to feed harlequin shrimp from the waters north of Boston and folks on the local forum correctly raised the possibility that it might be illegal. I contacted DNR and they were most helpful and even provided a letter clarifying the legality of what I proposed, just in case.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somewhat positive news out of Hawaii, but permits after the first of the year? I just saw a summary in email. They have not been bullish in a while, so maybe this is good? Who knows, right? I did not see if this was large net or small net permits, which matters a lot.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

He got through TSA and the Hawaii agricultural screen but it was the airlines (United) own rules that said no and they took the animals away. I suppose an airline carrier can decide what to allow on their planes. Probably just got the wrong nosey person. Maybe avoid untied.

Sad part is those critters probably died.

You can follow the law but it is still a private company and they can enforce whatever rules they want on their plane whether that is if they decide to limit the amount of liquid you can take on or limit you from taking live animals.

In his case they said no live animals but let him keep the macro algae. This happened just last month.

Last edited:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back