ISO suggestions on supplementing leds with t5 lighting

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Joined
Nov 18, 2012
Messages
40,646
Reaction score
67,844
Location
Fontana, California
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys. I'm looking on suggestions for supplementing led lighting with t5s. I've got a 180 and a 120. I'm happy with the growth I'm getting, but I think I could get better color if I supplemented some with t5s. Ideas?
 
I'm thinking of going with a diy setup, but I'm open to suggestions.
 
I think diy would be the way to go for you. Parabolic reflectors aren't very expensive. You can also get ballasts for pretty cheap too. Or you could even go a step farther and use polished aluminum and bend reflectors yourself.
 
I have a 180 also and I have been struggling and debating the exact same thing with my radions, but now I am really leaning towards just selling them and going with an ATI unit....Still up in the air though!
 
I wonder if it would be less expensive to gut a fixture or buy the ballasts, endcaps, bulbs, and reflectors myself to build it.
 
I bought my ballasts end caps and reflectors used 50 bucks. I have 2 reef breeder value fixtures which are good by themselves but better with 2 blue+ purple+ and uv!
uploadfromtaptalk1402005911236.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1402005911236.jpg
 

Attachments

  • uploadfromtaptalk1402005928439.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1402005928439.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 137
I bought my ballasts end caps and reflectors used 50 bucks. I have 2 reef breeder value fixtures which are good by themselves but better with 2 blue+ purple+ and uv!
uploadfromtaptalk1402005911236.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1402005911236.jpg

Very nice!
 
How important are brands and what not when it comes to buying pieces for diy? I'm planning to go with ati bulbs, but not sure if ballasts, endcaps, reflectors, etc should be carefully selected or if I can just grab stuff at Lowe's.
 
I'm thinking 4 bulbs to supplement with on each tank. Does that sound reasonable?
 
How important are brands and what not when it comes to buying pieces for diy? I'm planning to go with ati bulbs, but not sure if ballasts, endcaps, reflectors, etc should be carefully selected or if I can just grab stuff at Lowe's.

See if you can find old ice cap 660 or 430 ballast. As far as the other stuff I would find used as well. Check the forums
 
which ATI bulb you plan to use mdbanister?

At this point, I'm planning to use 2 ati blue+ and still deciding on the other two...either coral+ or purple+...but I'm open to suggestions.
 
blue + has white on it. i use to use blue+ and actinic.
i change it to 2 actinic with my reef breeder photon.
 
I think he's using them for more par right daniel? If so I would set the leds to 20k and then run a couple aquablue specials to maximize par. If you don't like it switch them out to blue+. I have a spare blue+ and aquablue special laying around if you want to try them out. Also a purple+
 
I think he's using them for more par right daniel? If so I would set the leds to 20k and then run a couple aquablue specials to maximize par. If you don't like it switch them out to blue+. I have a spare blue+ and aquablue special laying around if you want to try them out. Also a purple+

He posted in another thread it was because of color shift in rainbow acans
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new