Isolate Streaking Hermit? Day 4…

TinyReefObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All, apologies in advance but i can’t find much info on reef hermits evacuating their shells… my tiniest blue leg hermit recently molted (they surface molt in my tank, happy for suggestions), took a while getting moving this time.

Finally I spot him naked, with a row of shells, and leave him be (ALL AFTERNOON) but i’ve never seen them without a shell for more than a few seconds… next AM in a shell on the rocks - great- by afternoon- back in the sand, naked, on a shell, 3 more lined up again.

I thought something might be in the shells since he was climbing in head first, i’ve seen him start getting his butt in and then go in head first again. It’s been 4 days so while he’s been okay so far, i have 2 spawning clowns and am worried for their next nest…

He’s not afraid of my tweezers- seems like isolating might stress him out though… Should i try to rinse out some of the shells? Any thoughts?

Background we just moved the tank 3 weeks ago, 2 molted, then my nem bombed the tank by tangling with the powerhead (hasn’t done this in the last year w/ me so took me a while to figure out). Changed airstone, changed out the carbon, WC today.. tank and everything seemed back to normal days ago - except my littlest guy here :(

I can’t tell if he’s exhausted from lack of food or what at this point… have been trying to get some his way but won’t leave the shells..

Temp just below 78

image.jpg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought something might be in the shells since he was climbing in head first, i’ve seen him start getting his butt in and then go in head first again.
That sounds like it might just be trying out the various shells and seeing if it likes any of them/if any will work for it at the moment.

You may want to offer different types or sizes of shells from the ones available to it.

For what it's worth, blue leg hermits like Cerith shells:
Cerithium spp. shells - so Cerith shells are their preferred shells.

OP
OP
TinyReefObsession

TinyReefObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like it might just be trying out the various shells and seeing if it likes any of them/if any will work for it at the moment.

You may want to offer different types or sizes of shells from the ones available to it.

For what it's worth, blue leg hermits like Cerith shells:
Thank you so much for your reply. I think he has four of those lined up hahaha seems to be zeroed in on 2 of them but we’re on day 4 and i’ve only seen him get into one (and looked like all he did was sleep all morning) 2 days ago for 1/2 a day… maybe he’s “getting dressed” at night again & I’m missing it lol but i’ve just never seen them chill all day without a shell on… seems to duck a little when the clown-demons pass over- but wouldn’t he get in the shell instinctively to stay safe?

It is my first tank, had it just over a year now, so just want to make sure i’m not dismissing something in case i can help the little streaker out lol

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for your reply. I think he has four of those lined up hahaha seems to be zeroed in on 2 of them but we’re on day 4 and i’ve only seen him get into one (and looked like all he did was sleep all morning) 2 days ago for 1/2 a day… maybe he’s “getting dressed” at night again & I’m missing it lol but i’ve just never seen them chill all day without a shell on… seems to duck a little when the clown-demons pass over- but wouldn’t he get in the shell instinctively to stay safe?

It is my first tank, had it just over a year now, so just want to make sure i’m not dismissing something in case i can help the little streaker out lol
Yeah, as long as the shells are passably decent in its opinion, it should be getting in one - staying out for multiple days is odd if it has decent selection of shells available.

I know with land hermit crabs, that's a sign of something being wrong, so I'd assume similar here - my first thought was the shells (size or kind, as mentioned), but given the circumstances mentioned, I'd assume this was triggered by the incident with the anemone causing a water quality issue that the smaller hermit was more sensitive to. That said, it could be something else.

At this point, I'd say to pull it with the two shells it seems to like into a little breeder box or something, clean out the insides of the shells to be sure, and see if you can get the crab eating.

To check other possibilities here, though, what have you been feeding the hermits? How much and how often?

OP
OP
TinyReefObsession

TinyReefObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, as long as the shells are passably decent in its opinion, it should be getting in one - staying out for multiple days is odd if it has decent selection of shells available.

I know with land hermit crabs, that's a sign of something being wrong, so I'd assume similar here - my first thought was the shells (size or kind, as mentioned), but given the circumstances mentioned, I'd assume this was triggered by the incident with the anemone causing a water quality issue that the smaller hermit was more sensitive to. That said, it could be something else.

At this point, I'd say to pull it with the two shells it seems to like into a little breeder box or something, clean out the insides of the shells to be sure, and see if you can get the crab eating.

To check other possibilities here, though, what have you been feeding the hermits? How much and how often?
Okay thank you so much! I thought it was strange behavior. I feed frozen spirulina mysis daily, and a sprinkle of either NLS, the red refrigerated pellets (lol my brain is not working ..), or PE omega loaded mysis for breakfast. They also have the hikari sinking wafers that i break into smaller pieces to prevent fighting lol the crabs LOVE those!! … but i don’t think he’s had enough - i’ll get him separated. Thank you

Edit: blue light is on, white lights are off, & he’s chilling under the big mushroom, on top of the shell he’s been working on… so i will pull him in the morning so he doesn’t feel threatened & make a run for it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TinyReefObsession

TinyReefObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep us updated on how it does!
Ugh and of course i saw him this morning but was going to pull him after i was caffeinated & have not been able to spot him again all afternoon. I’m going to put some frozen in since that gets everywhere. If i don’t see him I’m considering pulling the rock in front covered in mushrooms (he could be hidden by one of them) and see if i can find him.

Whatever i do i have to turn off all flow and be mindful of my ginormous condy - who i’m sure would swallow him right up if he falls onto it… definitely even more stressed now i hope the little guy shows up… i know his behavior was a bad sign..

OP
OP
TinyReefObsession

TinyReefObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay upon further reflection, if there’s one thing this tank has taught me, it’s don’t over react & create bjgger issues since the original one will often work itself out … there are several shells he could be in right there, and if i start moving stuff around in search, there’s a good chance he could become anemone dinner… so i already added some super small pellets that mostly sink and got all the other crabs & shrooms going (forgot what they’re called) & then a dash of frozen a bit later… everyone else was running amok and the food got everywhere… so let’s hope one of these shells are moving around tomorrow … PS doesn’t help that they dilated my eyes at the dr this afternoon!!! Lol everything with a light edge looks like a little blurry hermit leg haha

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 58 42.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 67 48.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.8%
Back