Isopod plague... are they dangerous?

zbuffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I have started a 10g tank two weeks ago with a live rock and live sand (Nature’s Ocean). Since then I started to see some new critters almost every day on the rocks and sand. It is kind of exciting but a bit scary...

One of my concerns are isopods. They have shown up pretty quickly darting through the tank and then multiplied :/

I don’t like how they look and I don’t want them in my tank so i started removing them for some days. I have caught like 15 big ones and 50 small ones and in the night i saw two more adults hiding. Most are not so hard to catch with a net or turkey baster.

The question is: are these isopods bad? They look like Cirolanid but at the same time they don’t have evil big eyes but more round and on the sides...

I want to know if i can safely introduce a fish?
Can they attack a crab? Shrimp?

Cheers!

BBF7D8A1-64CC-4D23-B437-40FDFD8555EE.jpeg

OP
OP
Z

zbuffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank for the reply! I have googled before and the problem is that it doesn’t have these appendages that are very characteristic for Sphaeromatids and looks kind of between Cirolanid and Sphaeromatid :/ however I have found some scientific article that was showing a newly discovered type of Sphaeromatids that looked exactly like mine..

SuaSponte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever add a fish? Did you continue to capture/trap the isopods? I ask because I have similar isopods in my tank -- I'm fairly certain they are bad isopods. Thanks for the update!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 16.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 160 67.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back