Issue with Red Reefer 350 main control valve

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

For the past month I’ve been having to constantly adjust the control valve to keep the system quite. Every time I find the sweet spot on the water level in the overflow (right below the Red Reefer sticker) it says quiet for a few days then sure enough in the middle of the night I wake up to the flushing toilet sound...any ideas on what might be going on???

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

For the past month I’ve been having to constantly adjust the control valve to keep the system quite. Every time I find the sweet spot on the water level in the overflow (right below the Red Reefer sticker) it says quiet for a few days then sure enough in the middle of the night I wake up to the flushing toilet sound...any ideas on what might be going on???

I would start by taking the line/valve off. Disassemble and clean. See if that fixes it. Could have a restriction. I have read posts where members just replace the valve all together.

theKoolAidMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea used an iffy diaphram valve for the part and this is something that I think a lot of us reefer owners struggle with. Some people have replaced the stock diaphram valve with a gate valve, but you need to do some research because Red Sea uses metric connections, so you may have to get an adapter. I think there are instructions on this board if you're looking.

Personally I don't feel like messing with the plumbing on my Reefer 450 so I just adjust it every couple of days when it starts to get noisy again.

OP
OP
Paleozoic_reefer

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea used an iffy diaphram valve for the part and this is something that I think a lot of us reefer owners struggle with. Some people have replaced the stock diaphram valve with a gate valve, but you need to do some research because Red Sea uses metric connections, so you may have to get an adapter. I think there are instructions on this board if you're looking.

Personally I don't feel like messing with the plumbing on my Reefer 450 so I just adjust it every couple of days when it starts to get noisy again.

Thanks KoolAidMan; glad to know this is an issues with other RS Reefer owners!

Angrywalnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I slipped a 1 inch silicone hose over the emergency overflow pipe so it effectively raises the pipe about a 1/2 inch. Seems to have taken some of the sensitivity
out of it.

Back