Issue with Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155

John Fox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys. I have and issue with my tunze ato. What is happening is the pump will not turn on at all times. Happens on a pretty regular basis. When I unplug the head unit and plug back in it will start working like it should. It may go a few days if I'm lucky then resorts back to pump not coming on. The cycle starts over as I unplug the unit and restart. The pump is in a reservoir under the tank next to the sump where it distributes the water. Return line is not submerged and above water level. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

Flux Capacitor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you cleaned the sensor really good? Sometimes they get dirty and misread the water level. Does the pump not come on at all or is the control flashing red at all?

wcharon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having the same issue since new. Tunze said to give a Vinager soak for 1 hour and it started working but for a short time.

Contacted them again and they told me to send the unit for calibration but it is with a software they have. They received it today so i can update if that resolved the issue.

OP
OP
John Fox

John Fox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. It has been doing since the first week out of the box. Had about 8 months. Life got busy and have just been putting it off. Let me know what you find out.

Flux Capacitor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flashing red means that the pump ran for 10 mins and then shut off from the safety. This safety doesn’t allow the pump to run forever and overflow the tank.

One thing you can try is turning up the pump speed. There are some YouTube videos on how to do it, it’s pretty simple.

OP
OP
John Fox

John Fox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flashing red means that the pump ran for 10 mins and then shut off from the safety. This safety doesn’t allow the pump to run forever and overflow the tank.

One thing you can try is turning up the pump speed. There are some YouTube videos on how to do it, it’s pretty simple.
I will give that a shot. Thank you for the input

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure the pump isn’t air locked. If you‘ve ever let your ATO reservoir go down to empty, air can get trapped beneath the pump and cause an air lock situation. If that’s the case, flip the pump upside down while submerged beneath the water to release any air trapped beneath the pump and then flip it back upright again. That should get the pump working again.

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This doesn't usually happen on new units, but if your actual tunze pump is older, it may have developed a leak. Once flooded, the pump is mostly shorted from the inside. It may still work for a few seconds before shutting down. The controller itself has a thermistor inside, which cuts power to the pump in case of a short after a few seconds.

In that case, the observed behavior is that the pump turns on, then eventually stops and the controller blinks red. After some time, once the thermistor cools off and the controller is power cycled, the pump will turn on again briefly and the cycle repeats.

The usual fix for the problem is replacing the pump. They are inexpensive and readily available.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back