issues with peppermint shrimp and hammer coral

Colin_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bi-Colour hammer was doing really well, growing well and colours were bright. it was here yesterday and gone today, no sign of it apart from the base, and no other coral is near it. We don't have any fish that would eat it, but I do have a peppermint shrimp, that we see on occasions and not usually near the hammer, but that's then only thing I read up on that will eat it... bloody shrimp :mad:.
I want to get either frog spawn or torch coral. would these be safe from the shrimp?

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. I saw mine standing over zoas makin em rain. He got thrown at my 10” RBTA who had a nice lunch. And diner. And breakfast ;Hilarious
My bi-Colour hammer was doing really well, growing well and colours were bright. it was here yesterday and gone today, no sign of it apart from the base, and no other coral is near it. We don't have any fish that would eat it, but I do have a peppermint shrimp, that we see on occasions and not usually near the hammer, but that's then only thing I read up on that will eat it... bloody shrimp :mad:.
I want to get either frog spawn or torch coral. would these be safe from the shrimp?

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As much as I love shrimp (live and cooked ;Hilarious ) they just don’t go well with mixed reefs ime. They steal food and eat coral when they get hungry or are mad at you for not giving them a special piece of krill. I’d love to have a shrimp but they’re just a total pain. This is after I had a coral banded shrimp for over 7 years. pistol shrimps seem to be safe though. Maybe I’ll have to try one of those...

OP
OP
Colin_S

Colin_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks, I did have a large rbta, it split, now I have 2 medium sized ones. shrimp could be on the menu lol

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 32.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 41 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 40 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back