Peppermint shrimp.

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a tiny ricordia mushroom like very tiny one. I wooe up to it completely gone and lines are coming out of it. And peppermint shrimp near it. Did he eat it! I got peppermint shrimp from reeftopia to clean aiptasia and they did. But like they eat corals?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several types of shrimp sold as peppermint that are not. I have true peppermints in two tank and have no problems with them. The tank that has lps those peppermint never come out with lights on so they aren't food thieves. Can't say the same for my cleaner shrimp.

Fritz05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are indeed many sold as “Peppermint shrimp”. I found out I had L. Bogessii when they started eating the SPS corals I added. Allegedly L. Wurdemanni is reef-safe, but I cannot attest to that.

Below are photos of live specimens of five species of peppermint shrimp from a paper on the redescription of L. Wurdemanni:

1613368007305.png

(A) Lysmata wurdemanni
(B) Lysmata rathbunae
(C) Lysmata ankeri
(D) Lysmata boggessi
(E) Lysmata pederseni
(F) Lysmata bahia

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you got them from reeftopia then you got the real deal Florida keys peppermints that consume aiptasia. If left with no other option then death they will absolutely consume coral. Best option is to get rid of it if it's not being used for nem control and you keep a clean system. I had a pair start breeding which I thought was cool till zoanthids stated disappearing. Gave me a reason to buy a clown trigger.

dmh41532

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermint shrimp are opportunistic…if they’re hungry, they’ll eat what they can. I had one eat a hammer coral. I make sure to keep them fed, no more issues.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back