Issues with removing used fleece on reefmat 500

kbnh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using my Reefmat 500 for 6 months more or less and I love it overall. Water is crystal clear, I don't have to change socks, some might say it even filters the water too well. My biggest issue so far is the removal of the dirty fleece when it comes time to change the roll. I've changed a roll 3 times and it has never just slid off, Ive always had to unroll a good amount of fleece to ease some of the tension(pressure? strain? not sure what the proper word is) off the center of the roll. Is it a major inconvenience? No, once very 2-3 months is not gonna kill me, but is there a way to make it slightly easier to remove the dirty fleece? Any help is greatly appreciated!

OP
OP
K

kbnh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually changed mine out today and it wasn't too bad this time, I wish I remembered how I wrapped the new fleece around the center last time, guess I'll find out in a couple of months!

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Clarisea had this exact issue and in a way still does however they now supply a stand you push the roll over to slide the dirty roll off. Works really well.

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I changed mine for the first time today and yea some of the innermost rolls stick on with the rest sliding off. Not a biggie.

I do agree that it filters almost too well. I dose with ocean magic phyto everyday and my fleece is straight up green! Wonder how much im actually loosing.

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I changed mine for the first time today and yea some of the innermost rolls stick on with the rest sliding off. Not a biggie.

I do agree that it filters almost too well. I dose with ocean magic phyto everyday and my fleece is straight up green! Wonder how much im actually loosing.
Can you not turn your return off for a while?

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you not turn your return off for a while?
I suppose i could. I typically dose it in the fuge to by pass the filter and skimmer as much as possible and give everything in the fuge and DT a chance to get at it

cannoli56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using my Reefmat 500 for 6 months more or less and I love it overall. Water is crystal clear, I don't have to change socks, some might say it even filters the water too well. My biggest issue so far is the removal of the dirty fleece when it comes time to change the roll. I've changed a roll 3 times and it has never just slid off, Ive always had to unroll a good amount of fleece to ease some of the tension(pressure? strain? not sure what the proper word is) off the center of the roll. Is it a major inconvenience? No, once very 2-3 months is not gonna kill me, but is there a way to make it slightly easier to remove the dirty fleece? Any help is greatly appreciated!
I use a carpenters sheet rock knife and split the old fleece right down the middle , creats less a mess and I have the 1200 unit.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%

Back