Issues with SPS bleaching (biopellets)

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am having some issues with my SPS. Some of my pieces are bleaching. I am also having some issues with cyano blooms. Skimmate production has really increased as well so I am assuming it has to do with the biopellets kicking in.

Params:

ALK: 125ppm (dKH 7)
Calc: 420
Mag: 1350
pH 7.96-8.23 depending on time of day
Ammo: 0
Trite: 0
Trate: 5-10

Pellets are in a MR1 reactor constantly tumbling with no clumping. I have a total of 80 gallons in my system and am only using 60 gallons worth of pellets. Suggestions?

pciscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your water is clearing up and getting stripped of nutrients. Raise your light, and feed the tank more. Adding a few fish and feeding more helped my system snap out of the shock and I have been running the pellets since they came out. I like Aquavitro Fuel as it is cheap and the coral seem to like it along with oyster feast. More fish and more feeding will net you the same results. Good luck.

OP
OP
X

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your water is clearing up and getting stripped of nutrients. Raise your light, and feed the tank more. Adding a few fish and feeding more helped my system snap out of the shock and I have been running the pellets since they came out. I like Aquavitro Fuel as it is cheap and the coral seem to like it along with oyster feast. More fish and more feeding will net you the same results. Good luck.

I figured it was more light making it in to my tank last night. Since I cannot raise my lights any higher than they are now, I took two hours off of the light cycle. I am feeding three times a day. I wonder what new fish I will buy. Thank you for confirming what I thought. It makes me feel better.

lpskeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you start getting more PE it means the corals are starving. There are many sps foods to look at i feed oysterfeast, and cyclops as well. i feed sps only 2 times a week.

also feed fish 2 times a week

also with bio pellets its best to start out 1/4 of what they recomend and work your way up.

if your system even needs that much.

good uck the cyno should clear on its own by the way.

OP
OP
X

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you start getting more PE it means the corals are starving. There are many sps foods to look at i feed oysterfeast, and cyclops as well. i feed sps only 2 times a week.

also feed fish 2 times a week

also with bio pellets its best to start out 1/4 of what they recomend and work your way up.

if your system even needs that much.

good uck the cyno should clear on its own by the way.

I spent roughly 1 month and a half building up to the 60Gs worth of pellets. Hopefully that was slow enough.

My mills has huge PE, but they always have. I have been feeding my sps cyclops and nano reef food as well.

With the type of fish I have, i have to feed three times a day.

lpskeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just watch for more pe then normal. you well learn when to feed by watching them. i now can look and tell right away when sps are ready to eat. lol my wife thinks im tripen. By the way i get best food responce from my sps when i feed cyclops oysterfeast and roti feast. the roti feast is the best i think. i used to feed every day mixing it into my own fish food but have stoped because it took to much time. prob the best way though.

also when you get to a true ulns system you can start playing with colors more. im sure you know this but thought i throw it in to let you know.

get some amino acids and potassium to tweak reds and blues over time this can really give great colors. just take it real slow and never over dose.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 62 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.2%

Back