It’s a New Year, Show me what your tank looked like 1 year ago

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As we celebrate the new year, it’s time to look back on what our tanks looked like one year ago.

For me and many others, it was a thought. I had just recently purchased my Biocube 32 and on New Years Eve, waiting for the clock to strike 12, like tonight, I was deciding which clownfish I was going to get. There were too many options for me to choose from, but a year later, I will be getting a clown next week.

Share where your tank was at 1 year ago.

Hope everyone has a happy new year.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As we celebrate the new year, it’s time to look back on what our tanks looked like one year ago.

For me and many others, it was a thought. I had just recently purchased my Biocube 32 and on New Years Eve, waiting for the clock to strike 12, like tonight, I was deciding which clownfish I was going to get. There were too many options for me to choose from, but a year later, I will be getting a clown next week.

Tried to load a video, no luck....here it was anyway pretty much to the day. Recently this past week transfer to new tank....great topic ....things evolve and change....
20210204_153237.jpg
20211106_003402.jpg
20210123_153107.jpg
20210123_153225.jpg
20210123_163211.jpg

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not quite a year old, it’s around 11 months.
A1D41D6C-7183-4EDF-BFE8-3EEEBBAB4487.jpeg

971F4E4C-E07C-45CB-85DC-0C3B607DE3B4.jpeg

I obviously changed the aquascape around a little, and I got rid of the clowns. Went through a cladophora outbreak, and have decided I hate dry rock and will never use it again (been reefing over 20 years and this was my first and last tank using it), but for the most part things have been pretty good all year. I haven’t lost any corals (that’s a lie, a couple due to coral warfare) or fish. I still have the orange Rhodactis that I started with the day I filled the tank. Had a couple lighting changes (stock Nanocube hood to AI Prime to Noopsyche V3 K7). Things are starting to take off and fill in, I imagine I’ll have some coral aggression issues I’ll have to deal with this year, but otherwise I’m happy with where it’s at.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not quite a year old, it’s around 11 months.
A1D41D6C-7183-4EDF-BFE8-3EEEBBAB4487.jpeg

971F4E4C-E07C-45CB-85DC-0C3B607DE3B4.jpeg

I obviously changed the aquascape around a little, and I got rid of the clowns. Went through a cladophora outbreak, and have decided I hate dry rock and will never use it again (been reefing over 20 years and this was my first and last tank using it), but for the most part things have been pretty good all year. I haven’t lost any corals (that’s a lie, a couple due to coral warfare) or fish. I still have the orange Rhodactis that I started with the day I filled the tank. Had a couple lighting changes (stock Nanocube hood to AI Prime to Noopsyche V3 K7). Things are starting to take off and fill in, I imagine I’ll have some coral aggression issues I’ll have to deal with this year, but otherwise I’m happy with where it’s at.
Looking great, as always!

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Every other pic is close up you have all seen before :)
I'm proud and my inhabitants seem happy, thanks to all for helping me achieve this so far :) :)

Attachments

• IMG_20220103_222652.jpg
    IMG_20220103_222652.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20220103_222736.jpg
    IMG_20220103_222736.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20220103_223029.jpg
    IMG_20220103_223029.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 34

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Jan. 2020 - in my office not being well cared for. It was all stock stuff and a chiller. I took it home and have been working all year on making it awesome.

IMG_4903.jpg

Jan 2021

IMG_2952.jpg

IMG_2947.jpg

I did so much work on this tank. Thankfully I have Aquarimate to help me keep track of everything!!

Equipmentwise I replaced the stock T5s which only 2 were working with a retrofit LED kit from Steve's LEDs. I replaced the stock skimmer with a Tunze 9004 Comline. I replaced the dead Aqua UV with a new Aqua 2000 15 watt UV.

Added 2x MP40s and reeflink. Inkbird wifi temp controller. Bought an airstone and pump. I'm setup with a BRS 5 stage rodi and booster pump kit. I have a 20 gallon brute with a float valve. Also got a vivosun 800GPH sumb. pump and tubing to make water changes a snap.

I traded away 11 nems for 22 frags, mostly Zoas/Palys. Picked up a couple other corals along the way. Setup a fuge in the media chamber using the inTank media rack, Tunze submersible LED, clean chaeto from Algaebarn and ecopods.

Added a 5 gallon bucket of additional live rock which i will be re-scaping during my next WC and mounting some of the new frags. Added another bag of sand. Added a good mix of fish and CUC.

I battled Cyano with chemiclean, GHA with reef flux, possibly Dinos with nutrients and blackouts. I dose Alk and Cal at night. I regularly use chemipure blue and phosguard or phosnet as needed. Started off with reef crystals but later changed to regular IO in the purple bucket. I bought the kit of fancy hannah digital testers and salinity tester. I got some other odds and ends, but that's pretty much all of it. I put about $6000 into it this year and I'm finally where I want to be.

I realized this turned into more of an introduction than a year to year thing but it's my first year in and i did a lot! Loving it and I'm in for the long haul. How long til I upgrade to a bigger tank...

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jan. 2020 - in my office not being well cared for. It was all stock stuff and a chiller. I took it home and have been working all year on making it awesome.

IMG_4903.jpg

Jan 2021

IMG_2952.jpg

IMG_2947.jpg

I did so much work on this tank. Thankfully I have Aquarimate to help me keep track of everything!!

Equipmentwise I replaced the stock T5s which only 2 were working with a retrofit LED kit from Steve's LEDs. I replaced the stock skimmer with a Tunze 9004 Comline. I replaced the dead Aqua UV with a new Aqua 2000 15 watt UV.

Added 2x MP40s and reeflink. Inkbird wifi temp controller. Bought an airstone and pump. I'm setup with a BRS 5 stage rodi and booster pump kit. I have a 20 gallon brute with a float valve. Also got a vivosun 800GPH sumb. pump and tubing to make water changes a snap.

I traded away 11 nems for 22 frags, mostly Zoas/Palys. Picked up a couple other corals along the way. Setup a fuge in the media chamber using the inTank media rack, Tunze submersible LED, clean chaeto from Algaebarn and ecopods.

Added a 5 gallon bucket of additional live rock which i will be re-scaping during my next WC and mounting some of the new frags. Added another bag of sand. Added a good mix of fish and CUC.

I battled Cyano with chemiclean, GHA with reef flux, possibly Dinos with nutrients and blackouts. I dose Alk and Cal at night. I regularly use chemipure blue and phosguard or phosnet as needed. Started off with reef crystals but later changed to regular IO in the purple bucket. I bought the kit of fancy hannah digital testers and salinity tester. I got some other odds and ends, but that's pretty much all of it. I put about $6000 into it this year and I'm finally where I want to be.

I realized this turned into more of an introduction than a year to year thing but it's my first year in and i did a lot! Loving it and I'm in for the long haul. How long til I upgrade to a bigger tank...
Wow! That’s a big and impressive turnaround!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back