Hello and welcome to R2R!
Goofy Movie Hello GIF

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am actually the lab manager not a teacher. Sorry, I should have stated that. I do like to make things interesting and pretty for the students tho! I would like to get a mantis shrimp for them
Welcome to the crew. I get at least one nearly every time I buy a bucket of shrimp to go fishing. I just toss it in the intercoastal.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I started a new job last year, and with it came a 10 gallon regular glass tank with the "normal hood" and an in-tank turtle filter. At first glance I was assuming it to be freshwater but with further inspection I realized it was in fact saltwater. What was in it you ask....5 sea urchins, 3 brittle starfish, 2 rock flower anemones and 0 live rock. I have a bit of saltwater experience from many years ago and knew right from the start this setup would never work. Since then I have been reading anything and everything to get myself back in the loop with saltwater aquarium setup and care. This site has been such a great help! Let me also say that my job is at a community college and there are strict budgets and spending rules. This setup is also located in the classroom and intended for student use. Mostly observation, with a bit of hands on when I get some of the smaller inverts out while cleaning and such. I went out and found a good price on an already setup 29 gallon nano-cube and got some live rock. The cube had sand substrate, snails, a couple hermit crabs and some GSP. I took all the water and substrate from the original setup as well as the filter media. This was so I would have little to no cycle time. I got it all setup and ran it for a couple days before moving all the inhabitants over. All the original inhabitants came from places like Ward's and Carolina, which are companies for school/college supplies. I kept the original 10 gallon setup and have made it the "saltwater swamp". It currently had loads of aptasia and bristle worms. I have been slowly upgrading it with better lights and filtration. I have only added the platys/zoas since the setup. I hope to keep improving the setups little by little as I go. I don't have any pictures of the original tank, so all pics are of current setup. Thanks for having me and thanks for reading!

lab tank.jpg tank4.jpg tank5.jpg labtank2.jpg
Welcome!

Thanks for sharing back story and photos! Glad you joined.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Back