It has arrived! Day 1, Red Sea Max Nano

Nano Reef Q

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking set of rocks. If you have enough room to reach your hands around to clean glass thats a plus.
If I had a do-over I would have predrilled holes to insert frag plugs into on day 1.
Man I hate both glues on the market & I even use putty. I just recently upset my tank by pulling rocks out with mounted corals on them & drilled holes for new ones-sometimes frags would just not stay down..popping them in a predrilled hole has worked out way easier. Wish I would have done that before I had anything growing on a piece already.

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I discovered this hobby about a month ago and Ive become addicted instantly. I finally got my tank and set it up yesterday. I couldn't be happier.

What do you think about this Seascape? Is it too clustered for coral?

32544712193_d33528c3ae_z.jpg

My cat is literally drinking from my freshwater tank as I opened this post. Thought it was funny because I saw your cats.

IMG_2924.JPG

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You were not kidding about the cat getting in the tank. Once the tank was filled how did they react? Did you find a top yet, or is it a wait and see?

ChronicRage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure you can fit something between the rock and glass in order to clean it and you're good to go. Looks like a tight fit on that right hand side.

OP
OP
Hemlawk

Hemlawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You were not kidding about the cat getting in the tank. Once the tank was filled how did they react? Did you find a top yet, or is it a wait and see?
After I filled it with water, he was intrigued for about an hour. He kept looking inside and even jump up on the rear sump. But after than, he hasn't really looked at it twice. And my other cat couldn't care less about the tank.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:EDIT to that last post. My wife found him inside the stand. He walked behind the stand and jumped into the opening in the back...

There is alway one in the bunch that likes to help, or thinks it is their fish tank and you are the maintance human
IMG_4252.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hemlawk

Hemlawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 3 parameters: API test kit (guess work with the colors)
I took the shrimp out yesterday because it was STINKY!!!!

8.2 pH
.25 Ammonia (was 1.0 yesterday)
5.0 nitrite
40 nitrate

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep !!! That tank is definitely in the cycle ... but be patient , our reefs are a delicate eco system . Yours has just started , there are many stages too this process which can take xxxx amount of time probably months .. don't rush it ,, this process will happen naturally.. happy reefing !and it might be an idea too start changing your test kits too a more reliable one .. API are known too be less than accurate.. I believe !

OP
OP
Hemlawk

Hemlawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep !!! That tank is definitely in the cycle ... but be patient , our reefs are a delicate eco system . Yours has just started , there are many stages too this process which can take xxxx amount of time probably months .. don't rush it ,, this process will happen naturally.. happy reefing !and it might be an idea too start changing your test kits too a more reliable one .. API are known too be less than accurate.. I believe !
I agree about changing test kits. I can already tell the color match isnt going to cut it in the future. :)

OP
OP
Hemlawk

Hemlawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 6 parameter:

8.2 pH
0.0 Ammonia
1.0 nitrite
10.0 nitrate
1.024 salinity

Im not sure what these numbers mean. Ive been phantom feeding. No way it cycled in 6 days?!?!?!

It's crystal clear

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always add more ammonia again too 1 ppm .. if it tests 0 after 24 hrs ..then it's good , it's not finished cycling , it just means your well on your way and have a good amount of bacteria in there .. pataince is still needed ....

Michael Joye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All i did was feed the tank with fish food during the cycling. The fish food(or shrimp) will turn into ammonia and other things.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy pure ammonia at your supermarket.. that would be the easiest way dose small 10 ml or so and test after 30 mins .. keep adding till you reach 1 ppm .

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back