It has been a while

Whirly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats up everyone?
I havent posted anything in quite a while, transitioned to a new job, then promoted within that company, bought a house, got a dog.
my tanks have been sitting in the garage awaiting my attention, and finally i have settled in to the point where i can started working to prepare myself for the road to come with this hobby.

Presently i have a 300DD sitting in my garage on rollers, that being said, i am on a crawlspace so a great deal of work needs to be done to the substructure of my flooring to support such weights, and while being on a crawlspace does have its drawbacks, it does has benefits as well. a little background on myself, im working on an aerospace engineering degree, and i work in the Aerospace industry as a senior quality inspector. im still pretty young at 28, and i know that ill be staying at this house for many years to come, so that being said. i want to make to make my main living room tank something special to me. therefor.....
I am buying a 440gal acrylic system from a friend who used to run a reefing company that dealt with salt many many years ago. tank is in mint shape, he has since switched from doing saltwater to making the system into a planted tank and is now ready to part with it. its in perfect shape, and has been holding water.
being that i am going through the trouble to pour a reinforced concrete pad with crushed gravel under the house, and supporting the floor, i want to run a dedicated line from the garage for a high amp circuit that solely runs the tank and nothing else.

doing this i will also be building a 72hr battery backup system for my fridge/freezer, the return pump, and the heaters. and installing a automatic transfer switch for them.

this tank is 36" deep, and i plan to mainly throw SPS in it, so i am working on abuilding my own lighting system currently, my background is primarily in machining, millrite work, and aerospace electronics, so i plan to do in source the vast majority of the work at home, and essentially treat this as an engineering project.

i am 6'5" tall. the tank, sitting on the stand is right at eye level with me. i will be buying, or building a step stool scaffold to assist me when servicing the tank.

pump wise i plan on running a single 20,000lph return at the moment.

my skimmer is a Reef Octo SRO 5000-ext with a neck extension.
i have a dual chamber Reef octo Calcium Reactor

This will be a major undertaking for both me, as well as my house, but i look forward to doing everything.

After i graduate, part of my gift to myself will be turning a patio at the back of the house near the pool into a sun room, and i want to put a 3 to 5,000 gallon pool in there for rays, maybe a shark, some eels etc.

thanks for reading, and its good to be back.
will

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow - it sounds like you have some really neat adventures in front of you!!! Please take us along for the journey!

eloser

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prices for live stock has more then quadrupled in price. I just got back into the hobby recently with a cda 150 and purchased all the bells and whistles to accompany the setup. It was quite a sticker shock for me when it came time to fill it up with livestock. This is something you might want to consider before diving back in with such a large setup.

OP
OP
Whirly

Whirly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prices for live stock has more then quadrupled in price. I just got back into the hobby recently with a cda 150 and purchased all the bells and whistles to accompany the setup. It was quite a sticker shock for me when it came time to fill it up with livestock. This is something you might want to consider before diving back in with such a large setup.
I have noticed an uptick in price. Especially depending on whereyou shop. I've only been gone about a year.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hey,glad to see you got your dream tank .
remember ,you from my 540 peninsula sale... ;) :cool:
now resides with @Shiggknight ,take a peek,wow she cleaned up sweeet...:)

OP
OP
Whirly

Whirly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey,glad to see you got your dream tank .
remember ,you from my 540 peninsula sale... ;) :cool:
now resides with @Shiggknight ,take a peek,wow she cleaned up sweeet...:)
I believe I was talking to you while I was in the middle of transitioning to the new job and closing on the house.. that was probably the last time I was on here. Boy was that a mess.
0/10 do not recommend buying a house at the same time you receive a job offer.

OP
OP
Whirly

Whirly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my defense. I was supposed to close on the house a month before starting the job. However the previous owners kept asking for the dates to be pushed back. And [insert large defense company] (my employer) pushed the date up. So it ended up creating a very volatile situation. I ended up shutting down my tanks as a result because I didn't know until the day I signed papers what was going to happen. 1 party wanted information, that the other was not willing to give up short of having a Court order. So I had to bail on all plans to buy any tanks etc for a few months. All is good now though

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I remember well, we talked on phone,felt bad ,but good ,had to get that monster out of wife's DINING ROOM...:D

Will be waiting for your build thread,tag me ,or i'll find ya'...;):cool:

OP
OP
Whirly

Whirly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember well, we talked on phone,felt bad ,but good ,had to get that monster out of wife's DINING ROOM...:D

Will be waiting for your build thread,tag me ,or i'll find ya'...;):cool:
Sure thing ! It'll be a process, the ole lady is moving to Florida for a few months so o want to do it while it's safe for me to do as I please

eloser

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed an uptick in price. Especially depending on whereyou shop. I've only been gone about a year.
Oh okay…I was gone for a little over 10 years when yellow tangs in my area cost $35. I come back and lfs selling them for $500 lol. Sounds like this will be an insane system especially that 5000 gallon pool! Looking forward to seeing a build thread on your progress.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Whirly

Whirly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh okay…I was gone for a little over 10 years when yellow tangs in my area cost $35. I come back and lfs selling them for $500 lol. Sounds like this will be an insane system especially that 5000 gallon pool! Looking forward to seeing a build thread on your progress.
Yea the pool is a big MAYBE at this time. I would have to get a considerably large raise to treat myself like that.
I have a 30x60 shop out back I have been considering turning into an aquaculture facility, just have to find time and resources to do it.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi, any updates??
and ...
Happy Birthday Bday GIF by MOODMAN
compliments of your friendly neighborhood R2R Bday "stalker"... ;):)

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 58 40.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 40 28.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back