Txdragonslayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

I had been noticing that I was having a popping sound coming from the skimmer. I got a notification that my 6 month skimmer cleaning was due. So while I was off today I took apart my Tunze 9004 and cleaned it. Lots of sponges and calcium spots covered the skimmer when I took it out. What a mess. It was fun to take apart and put back together had to break out the manual to read on how to do it. It really is easy once you figure it out.:)

A lot of these images and videos are broken :(

OP
OP
reefwiser

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7f7e732d768b8f0f70c228e163ca29d5.jpg

Having posted in this thread much should of it more [emoji3]
Learning and finding new discoveries is what I love about the hobby. I found out new things this past year. I am always researching new ways to break thru the road blocks my aquarium throws up at me.
This year I decided to research if trace elements could be causing issues with corals in my aquarium. I had been doing AWC changing a gallon of water slowly over the coarse of 8 hours each day. But this really didn’t help the natural colors of the corals to develop.
So I had been watching my friend Tony Kudar develop his dosing supplement and I asked him if I could try it out and see what it was all about. What could I lose my tank was ok it just wasn’t great. So he sent me a pack to try out. Boy was I surprised and shocked. I have used every product on the market over the last 30 odd years and this product actually worked. It’s crazy that it did so much with such a small dose each day.
02c95b668bdd5204a8e69d8714ec99cf.jpg
fa01fb9ffa4b11f74690f64a88177edc.jpg

That 2.5 ml a day would cause corals to do this color change was just eye opening to me. Nothing else has changed in how I keep the tank or equipment added. I always lock down changes during these type of experiments. I don’t want to color the test.

OP
OP
reefwiser

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9d9672227f952c7b4148f049e91de77e.jpg

Here is the same coral 2 years ago. It was really place cream color that Duncan’s get over time.

It was a dramatic transformation over the coarse of one month and I see the same thing happen to other corals in my tank. I have learned that corals will do OK but not great with out trace elements
and when they get the proper amount of trace elements in their aquarium water they will flower and show their true colors. Those that say that trace elements dosing is not important have not tried it and don’t really see that trace element s must be maintained just like alk cal and mag.
Such a great learning year for me. Thanks Tony for helping see the light [emoji3][emoji106]

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just had to reach back to the bookshelf behind me and grab this:

MoeBook.jpg

My first aquarium, circa 1979, was a 5g slate bottom, stainless framed garage sale find. Kept mollies and guppies for quite a while. The Moe book started my journey into the world of marine aquaria, as well :)

OP
OP
reefwiser

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too. I am grateful to have learned a lot from Skip. He continues to do research and is breeding urchins now

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder just how many of us Martin got started in marine aquariums?

I was given a copy of his book by a local fish store.

I met him and had him sign my first copy of the book. It disappeared in a divorce. I have another now. And the Marine Aquarium Reference as well.

:D

OP
OP
reefwiser

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many he is a great guy. He is still plugging away at work. He gave a talk at this past MACNA on his current work and was mobbed afterwards by everyone in the room.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy cow! I wonder if he remembers me?

We corresponded for a few years while I was breeding clowns. I literally used his book like a cookbook and was very successful breeding. I credit him with just about all the success I have had with DIY projects as well.

I even built 20 longs with undergravel systems from his plans. 21 of them! :) (back then you could get salvage glass for about 50 cents a foot)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back