OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Convict Tang (slightly psycho chasing reflection all day)

LOL sounds just like my Two Spot Bristletooth

My two spot chases the Convict tang more than I'd like so adding more fish needs to happen.

Hopefully the Convict stops chasing its own reflection all day at that point lol

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't. I really should since I have a meter but with halides, nothing seems to care about PAR like it does with LEDs.

Here is my old 120 and I suspect I'm pretty close to this. Maybe even higher with the XHOs on.

20210226_182909~2.jpg

I know somebody that is selling your exact setup that that’s 6 months old dirt cheap and was thinking of just buying them for the hell of it. My concern is if it’s a waste of money being 250 watts and if 3 would give me coverage for wall to wall SPS

I’ve ran 250 watt MH prior but this is when nobody cared what PAR was and a much smaller tank

OP
OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know somebody that is selling your exact setup that that’s 6 months old dirt cheap and was thinking of just buying them for the hell of it. My concern is if it’s a waste of money being 250 watts and if 3 would give me coverage for wall to wall SPS

I’ve ran 250 watt MH prior but this is when nobody cared what PAR was and a much smaller tank

Eh, you got like a $10k racing setup. Grab the halides and try one out! :grinning-squinting-face:

Tullio helped me with this whole setup and my readings from above prove the Reef Brite reflector has a genuine 32*24 coverage with enough punch. The XHOs add an extra 80-100 PAR as well.

I will be moving my XHOs down so they are level with the bottom of the halides with some brackets Tullio sent me and then eventually skinning the whole setup to help hide things.

Halide reflectors aren't as good looking as something like the Stratons but they aren't ugly IMO. I wouldn't run them in my upstairs living room like I am right now but I don't mind the industrial style. I actually really prefer my stand being left open at this point.

I still believe they are the best lights for our animals and that is my number 1 priority.

I need to write a more official tank update and Trident post soon! Between work 6 days a week, home projects, and other obligations it's been tough to find the time to do everything justice.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eh, you got like a $10k racing setup. Grab the halides and try one out! :grinning-squinting-face:

Tullio helped me with this whole setup and my readings from above prove the Reef Brite reflector has a genuine 32*24 coverage with enough punch. The XHOs add an extra 80-100 PAR as well.

I will be moving my XHOs down so they are level with the bottom of the halides with some brackets Tullio sent me and then eventually skinning the whole setup to help hide things.

Halide reflectors aren't as good looking as something like the Stratons but they aren't ugly IMO. I wouldn't run them in my upstairs living room like I am right now but I don't mind the industrial style. I actually really prefer my stand being left open at this point.

I still believe they are the best lights for our animals and that is my number 1 priority.

I need to write a more official tank update and Trident post soon! Between work 6 days a week, home projects, and other obligations it's been tough to find the time to do everything justice.

Its more about having even more lights sitting around, I already have 5 GNC Pro’s collecting dust and my tank is going great under Orpheks. I will probably still take one off his hands and throw it in the rack to see how the coral does.

Your tank is looking great, I’m learning sometimes less is more when it comes to messing with the tank while it’s getting it’s wings. These days I just have been letting my tank roll with whatever is going on and letting it figure itself out lol. It’s working as my alk consumption is actually getting a little insane on ESV.

OP
OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Its more about having even more lights sitting around, I already have 5 GNC Pro’s collecting dust and my tank is going great under Orpheks. I will probably still take one off his hands and throw it in the rack to see how the coral does.

Your tank is looking great, I’m learning sometimes less is more when it comes to messing with the tank while it’s getting it’s wings. These days I just have been letting my tank roll with whatever is going on and letting it figure itself out lol. It’s working as my alk consumption is actually getting a little insane on ESV.

I found out my alk was close to 12dkh after installing the Trident! Been letting it come down for the last couple weeks. I'm around 8.7dkh now and will start dosing alk again at 8dkh.

The Trident might be the greatest thing I've ever installed on any of my tanks because I absolutely hate testing lol. I am sure some mechanical issues will pop up here and there but that's fine.

OP
OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Grabbed a couple tod down shots while I changed some water yesterday. No edits, no filter, no pro mode, nothing but point and shoot and I didn't even do great at that lol

I'd love to get an actual ID on pic #5

20220911_171005.jpg
20220911_170944.jpg
20220911_170938.jpg
20220911_170845.jpg
20220911_170836.jpg
20220911_170739.jpg
20220911_170731.jpg

OP
OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just waiting on my fish from Dr Reef and the tank is super ugly with cyano and dinos all over. Dosing carbon, MB7, and phyto to try and turn things around.

I have lost a lot of interest in the tank as of late so my updates will be slow and sporadic going forward. I am not even logging in here much any more and won't be for the forseeable future.

Hope the 5 of you following along are doing well!

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lost a lot of interest in the tank as of late so my updates will be slow and sporadic going forward. I am not even logging in here much any more and won't be for the forseeable future.

Hope the 5 of you following along are doing well!
I’m with ya there….

I hope the tank turns around

OP
OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Monthly check in.

Got all the new fish 8 days ago. All except one came in healthy. The copperband is on a hunger strike and I need to get that figured out ASAP. I’ll be getting some clams on half shell tonight to test out.

I’m also saddened to see the passing of Jake Adams. He was a great hobbyist that knew his stuff. Even if he went about stuff harshly at times.

About 10-12 years ago he came to Utah for a small reef fest the local club put on. He was one of the main speakers and gave a take on flow. It completely changed my outlook on flow and has always been a staple of my reefing style.

Couple pics to leave behind. Tank still isn’t where I want it and in all reality, I’m just not into the hobby right now. It’s far more of a chore than it should be. If this setup would sell easily, I’d probably let it go.

8150F4F2-63D9-4CB8-9390-CCC6FD0E5586.jpeg
8666F0FE-5A5F-4977-BAF3-B293BFE9E7D5.jpeg
FAA3E715-8C9C-469D-8489-6844E592698B.jpeg

In some much better news, my 4 month salt testing experiment is about done and I will be on ReefDudes livestream to reveal everything. That should be fun but nerve wracking at the same time lol

Stay tuned

OP
OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The reveal of my ICP testing on brand new salt mixes went live last night with Deven! It was a ton of fun even if I was all over the place at times. Just so much data to get out there. Hopefully one or two people find value in it and it helps them along their journey. I will be putting together a thread with all the results and how I went about testing everything at a later date. Time is in short supply so it might be around the holidays that I finally slow down enough to put my thoughts down.

Tank is doing well. I think I am getting my nutrients under control with MB7 and carbon dosing. I would really like an algae turf scrubber but it has to go in sump so I am trying to figure out a plan to make that work.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beast of a build! Love seeing those RB in action. I'd be interested in seeing a PAR map if you ever decide to do it. I'm wondering how well the singles reflect light back under the mogul socket. I was thinking of running these on my 36" front to back tank but worried Id have a low spot on the mogul side. The coverage looks spot on to the eye though, very nice!

OP
OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Black Friday has been good to me as I have been patiently waiting and saving up for some deals.

Decided a fuge is my best bet to combat the nutrients and low pH. So Kessil H160, some chaeto ordered, Trident reagents, tons of odds and ends as well. Excited to get this tank back on track and coloring up

OP
OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beast of a build! Love seeing those RB in action. I'd be interested in seeing a PAR map if you ever decide to do it. I'm wondering how well the singles reflect light back under the mogul socket. I was thinking of running these on my 36" front to back tank but worried Id have a low spot on the mogul side. The coverage looks spot on to the eye though, very nice!

I have a PAR meter and really need to map it out one of these days. I just don't worry about PAR with halides like I did with LEDs. Corals don't seem to care nearly as much IME when they are getting a more quality light source.

OP
OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, the fuge is working out wonderfully so far for pH. The dip below 7.8 at the end was during my water change. It went back above 7.9 shortly after

CDBC538B-707D-454F-9609-F9A6B1C9D040.jpeg

I also got my air exchanger installed to hopefully fight the humidity and stale air of my basement. Wife said it smells much better downstairs so that’s a win. Humidity is around 35-40% in my house now. Hopefully it doesn’t cause any issues long term.

Tank is doing great. Cyano is going away but dinos seem to have come back on the sand. No big deal since all corals are doing wonderfully. Since dosing Elimi NP and MB7 daily, my polyp extension is crazy! They love eating all that bacteria.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 58 29.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 42 21.4%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 23 11.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 66 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back