It's A Lifestyle - 250g Peninsula

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see many people using the freshwater version. I know people love the sapphire blue look, but what are your thoughts about a FW strip or two in there to achieve that 14,000k look?

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Re: your sump dilemma- I ordered a custom Bashsea though Premium aquatics and really happy with it. Communication was good, all dosing lines where I wanted, and price was decent.

OP
OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t see many people using the freshwater version. I know people love the sapphire blue look, but what are your thoughts about a FW strip or two in there to achieve that 14,000k look?

I use the FW over my chaeto. It is 6500k white. You can make the Grow model pretty white IMO. I’ll end up with 3 Grow and 2 Glow in the end

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the build @rtparty and I've been contemplating going the glass cages route with a t slot stand.

Did you make the skinned pieces yourself?

How do you feel about the tank now that it has been up for a while? Did you ever figure out the overflow? I am thinking I would want a center back full height overflow rather than the synergy after hearing all the reviews.

OP
OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love the build @rtparty and I've been contemplating going the glass cages route with a t slot stand.

How do you feel about the tank now that it has been up for a while? Did you ever figure out the overflow? I am thinking I would want a center back full height overflow rather than the synergy after hearing all the reviews.

Sorry. Never got a notification about your post. I will answer in a little bit once I’m home and settled for the day

OP
OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Short video I quickly threw together. Tank was dosed with DIY Coral Snow before remembering I needed to record a short video for my YouTube Live with Deven.

OP
OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

The outer skin is PVC board that we cut with a track saw. I haven’t ever attached the French cleats like planned though. One day I will :grinning-squinting-face:

I have learned a ton about peninsula tanks and what NOT to do with this setup. A few things I’d change right off the bat:

black silicone on all seams. The clear silicone looks so clean when new. Then the algae grows into it and looks bad.

I’d never use a Synergy overflow again. I got it dialed in best I can hope for but still don’t like it. I had to cut the trickle pipe down about an inch shorter than it was so it always has water going down it. This also keeps the salt creep away. Salt creep and some cords almost fried my entire Apex and possibly burned my house down. Lessons learned for sure.

I’d do an internal overflow and just lose a little real estate. I’d also figure out how to put the eurobrace all the way around for splash protection. And make the returns come through the overflow. Leaving the back wall totally open for pump placement.

Not sure I’d use sand again.

All LPS would be on the far side. Flow is such a pain in a peninsula.

I’d never do a tank this size, with this much equipment, and try to fit it all in a stand again. I’d want a remote fish room.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The outer skin is PVC board that we cut with a track saw. I haven’t ever attached the French cleats like planned though. One day I will :grinning-squinting-face:

I have learned a ton about peninsula tanks and what NOT to do with this setup. A few things I’d change right off the bat:

black silicone on all seams. The clear silicone looks so clean when new. Then the algae grows into it and looks bad.

I’d never use a Synergy overflow again. I got it dialed in best I can hope for but still don’t like it. I had to cut the trickle pipe down about an inch shorter than it was so it always has water going down it. This also keeps the salt creep away. Salt creep and some cords almost fried my entire Apex and possibly burned my house down. Lessons learned for sure.

I’d do an internal overflow and just lose a little real estate. I’d also figure out how to put the eurobrace all the way around for splash protection. And make the returns come through the overflow. Leaving the back wall totally open for pump placement.

Not sure I’d use sand again.

All LPS would be on the far side. Flow is such a pain in a peninsula.

I’d never do a tank this size, with this much equipment, and try to fit it all in a stand again. I’d want a remote fish room.
I've heard a lot about the synergy overflow so I will definitely go all internal. That sucks about the salt creep I'm glad you got to it before it got worse!

I think my biggest hurdle is skinning the stand. Projects like that tend to get put on the back burner for me and I want it to look clean.

OP
OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've heard a lot about the synergy overflow so I will definitely go all internal. That sucks about the salt creep I'm glad you got to it before it got worse!

I think my biggest hurdle is skinning the stand. Projects like that tend to get put on the back burner for me and I want it to look clean.

Yeah definitely on the back burner for me. But I am going to totally redo the whole sump area and electronic cabinet soon and then I’ll finish up the skin once the setup is complete

Deadcalm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea 300 G2 and am using 3 AI Blades over it. 2 x grow and 1 x glow and love the color they combo provides. I'm primary going to only have soft coral in the tank (zoa's, mushrooms and leather coral)

I'm curious what light schedule and intensity your using on our AI Blades. I'm having trouble finding anything online on what others are using.

OP
OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a Red Sea 300 G2 and am using 3 AI Blades over it. 2 x grow and 1 x glow and love the color they combo provides. I'm primary going to only have soft coral in the tank (zoa's, mushrooms and leather coral)

I'm curious what light schedule and intensity your using on our AI Blades. I'm having trouble finding anything online on what others are using.

Sorry. Never got a notification for this post

Here is a screenshot of my settings. The percentages at the top aren’t my peak percentages. That’s what it ramps down to. The highest point is cool white at like 110% if that helps. I run violet and UV channels at 100% as well

IMG_0933.jpeg

Rimsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like 7-8”
Mines are hanging at about 11" from the water line and I still find them a little obstructive when I want to work on the frag tank. If I'm not careful, my head bangs against them. The tank is a low boy 50 gallon, which is only 10" tall.

OP
OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mines are hanging at about 11" from the water line and I still find them a little obstructive when I want to work on the frag tank. If I'm not careful, my head bangs against them. The tank is a low boy 50 gallon, which is only 10" tall.

You can likely move them up more if needed since the tank is so shallow. I’m almost never in my tank so their height doesn’t bug me

OP
OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It has been a minute since I updated anything in here! Holiday rush at work plus a lack of interest in the hobby really put the tank on back burner for a while.

Few weeks ago I decided it was time to sell and move on for a while or buckle down and get the tank fixed.

Fixing the tank is a large project and one that I knew would have to wait until the New Year so I decided to just start doing little things to try and feed the flame. It might sound odd but getting back to routine water changes every week was the catalyst. It has allowed me to get into the tank and start sucking all the hair algae out! Oh yeah, GHA cropped up a few months back and absolutely hammered the tank.

Funny thing is, corals are growing so fast they are becoming a serious issue. Stinging each other, blocking light and flow to neighbors, making it hard to get at hair algae in crevices…

Just realized none of my pics will upload since I shot in RAW. Whoops

Last edited:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 72 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 53 25.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 65 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back