It's A Lifestyle - 250g Peninsula

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Grabbed a couple tod down shots while I changed some water yesterday. No edits, no filter, no pro mode, nothing but point and shoot and I didn't even do great at that lol

I'd love to get an actual ID on pic #5

20220911_171005.jpg
20220911_170944.jpg
20220911_170938.jpg
20220911_170845.jpg
20220911_170836.jpg
20220911_170739.jpg
20220911_170731.jpg
That white look that metal halide users talk about

OP
OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just spitballing but….

There are going to be some major overhauls on the system in the near future. Any input is welcome from those still following.

1) The sump is 100% being replaced. I absolutely hate this platinum sump from Trigger. The filter roller has been an issue from day one and is now inoperable. The only way I can fix it is to drain the entire sump, tear everything apart, and soak it in citric acid. If I’m going to go through that, I’d rather just replace the whole sump.

So with that, I'm talking to Trigger about a custom Triton version sump from them. The fuge I setup has been great but it’s growing stuff all over my sump now. I want a sump with black baffles so it will contain some spill and I’m also going to switch to the new Blade fuge light. No light spill this way.

2) I’m 100% getting Blade lights to replace the XHOs. Absolutely nothing wrong with the XHO lights. They’re great. But this is part of a bigger plan to likely replace all halides with Blades. I want to run a couple of them first and see how they work out. The Glow I have reminds me of the old VHO actinic bulbs and I love them!

3) I’ve ordered more anthias, a spotted mandarin, and a helfrichi firefish. This should complete the fish list.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Just spitballing but….

There are going to be some major overhauls on the system in the near future. Any input is welcome from those still following.

1) The sump is 100% being replaced. I absolutely hate this platinum sump from Trigger. The filter roller has been an issue from day one and is now inoperable. The only way I can fix it is to drain the entire sump, tear everything apart, and soak it in citric acid. If I’m going to go through that, I’d rather just replace the whole sump.

So with that, I'm talking to Trigger about a custom Triton version sump from them. The fuge I setup has been great but it’s growing stuff all over my sump now. I want a sump with black baffles so it will contain some spill and I’m also going to switch to the new Blade fuge light. No light spill this way.

2) I’m 100% getting Blade lights to replace the XHOs. Absolutely nothing wrong with the XHO lights. They’re great. But this is part of a bigger plan to likely replace all halides with Blades. I want to run a couple of them first and see how they work out. The Glow I have reminds me of the old VHO actinic bulbs and I love them!

3) I’ve ordered more anthias, a spotted mandarin, and a helfrichi firefish. This should complete the fish list.
Replace halides with AI Blades?

OP
OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Replace halides with AI Blades?

Yes, long term plan. I will keep all the halide stuff either hung or on the shelf in case I absolutely hate it.

I have been waiting over a decade for someone to create an LED like the new Blade. Ecoxotic was so close 10 years ago but fell just short.

OP
OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What is that first one?

I don’t recall the name. Maybe Pink Floyd? Here is an actinic pic that shows the green glow on the tips.

8249464D-5E62-431B-9EB6-EEFE20BF64D9.jpeg

It’s on the frag rack since it started randomly dying where I had it. The encrusted portion left behind came back and the frag is doing great now. No clue why it went south.

I’ve got 5 or 6 SPS pieces that I don’t recall the names of. I need to figure them out again lol

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t recall the name. Maybe Pink Floyd? Here is an actinic pic that shows the green glow on the tips.

8249464D-5E62-431B-9EB6-EEFE20BF64D9.jpeg

It’s on the frag rack since it started randomly dying where I had it. The encrusted portion left behind came back and the frag is doing great now. No clue why it went south.

I’ve got 5 or 6 SPS pieces that I don’t recall the names of. I need to figure them out again lol
I saw some potential in it. That is why I asked. Glad to hear that you brought it back.

OP
OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I saw some potential in it. That is why I asked. Glad to hear that you brought it back.

Looking back at my orders, I’m pretty sure it’s the Fox Flame acro. Got it from Tidal Gardens.

I found multiple pieces I don’t remember ordering and now have to search the tank and see what I can actually identify. Had a major browning event a while back from nutrients being completely out of hand. Taking their sweet time coming back.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking back at my orders, I’m pretty sure it’s the Fox Flame acro. Got it from Tidal Gardens.

I found multiple pieces I don’t remember ordering and now have to search the tank and see what I can actually identify. Had a major browning event a while back from nutrients being completely out of hand. Taking their sweet time coming back.
Time is free overreacting is what cost so much.

OP
OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, the filter roller on my Trigger sump is completely busted now. It’s been a major PITA since day one and just got progressively worse. I tore it down yesterday to try and figure out the exact problems and got it working again. Woke up this morning and could hear the motor trying to turn but nothing. Fleece was super tight and now the gear is loose. Motor won’t turn and the fleece is caught on something yet again.

The worst part about this is I’ve emailed Trigger 6 times in the last month with no response. I’ve been working with them on this issue since last July. I was promised the newest V2 filter roller back then. Still nothing and zero support.

Run far and fast from these guys.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that sucks. Problems are one thing; lack of support is a whole different issue.

I thought that I had issues with them when they wanted $50 plus shipping for one of their small brackets to locate pipes on the rim of their sumps. Now I know that I had it good because atleast they responded to my email.

OP
OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well that sucks. Problems are one thing; lack of support is a whole different issue.

I thought that I had issues with them when they wanted $50 plus shipping for one of their small brackets to locate pipes on the rim of their sumps. Now I know that I had it good because atleast they responded to my email.

I was in touch with them a few months ago about a custom Triton 44 sump since I need it to flow right to left and not left to right. They were also going to move some things around since I can’t stand the dosing lines in the return section. Stupidest place for them IMO.

When we got closer to final design, the emails just stopped and have never been responded to since then.

I would normally just use a stock tank, silicone in a baffle and be done. I’ve found fancy sumps a bigger pain than they’re worth long term. However, no stock tank fits my area since I’m limited to about 45”. A stock 55 would be perfect but it’s 4” too long

OP
OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We are a week or two away from the 1 year mark on this tank and things are going well. Made some significant changes lately and the tank hasn’t skipped a beat. May be doing even better than before. I’ll hold off on that update until I get better grasp with some numbers to back it all up.

One change I made was adding kalkwasser dosing to the system. I had an open DOS head so I got a 10 gallon Trigger Triton ATO reservoir. Added 8 gallons of water, 16tsp of kalk, stirred it all up, and started dosing 1000ml a day. I am hoping to see a pH boost but nothing so far. Even upped it to 2000ml a day and nothing. It did spike my alkalinity a little too much so I backed off to 1000ml again and cut my soda ash dosing back quite a bit. What’s nice about this is it also allows my ATO reservoir to last a little bit longer in case I ever take a 7-10 day vacation. Hasn’t happened almost my entire life but maybe one day and now I’ll be ready LOL

Added 3 new fish from Dr Reef. Another anthias, a helfrichi (now named a lavender blushed firefish) and a spotted mandarin. Sorry, no pics of these three just yet.

Pic of the kalk dosing setup I employed.
F5CC0192-0708-4DE5-9774-41D670002479.jpeg

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All caught up now :face-with-tears-of-joy:

You have me thinking on a couple of things, like designing a new sump and switching out my mixing tank for something nicer and square

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t stand the dosing lines in the return section. Stupidest place for them IMO.

Not disagreeing here, I just never really thought about it. Why don’t you like the return area for dosing and what would be your idea alternative? I do my carbon dosing into the display personally.

Also. How are the blades treating you? Did you make a full switch? The buildmyled brand strips from years back (to me) were the perfect strip design. Sad they bowed out when they did.

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like the idea of dosing my alkalinity or Kalk directly into my return pump, so I've moved mine around a few times, but I always end up back into the return section anyway. Now I at least keep a small cheap powerhead in there also to stir things up better...

OP
OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not disagreeing here, I just never really thought about it. Why don’t you like the return area for dosing and what would be your idea alternative? I do my carbon dosing into the display personally.

Also. How are the blades treating you? Did you make a full switch? The buildmyled brand strips from years back (to me) were the perfect strip design. Sad they bowed out when they did.

I would put the dosing lines right where my skimmer output can hit them directly. This instantly mixes the water where the solutions enter and doesn't require another pump. The return section isn't turbulent or fast flowing enough to properly mix high pH additives. Lots of precipitation happens on my wall and it requires yet another pump to mix the water.

The Blades have been fantastic after the initial issues. Just ordered another Grow to replace the XHOs. The Blades defintely aren't perfect but they are my favorite LED to date that I have used and tested. I could use three over my tank and be fine for a mixed setup. Even heavy SPS in the middle of the tank would be just fine. They put out like 400-450 PAR down the middle 24" of my tank. Just adding more so I can slowly go 98% SPS when I want.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put the dosing lines right where my skimmer output can hit them directly. This instantly mixes the water where the solutions enter and doesn't require another pump. The return section isn't turbulent or fast flowing enough to properly mix high pH additives. Lots of precipitation happens on my wall and it requires yet another pump to mix the water.

The Blades have been fantastic after the initial issues. Just ordered another Grow to replace the XHOs. The Blades defintely aren't perfect but they are my favorite LED to date that I have used and tested. I could use three over my tank and be fine for a mixed setup. Even heavy SPS in the middle of the tank would be just fine. They put out like 400-450 PAR down the middle 24" of my tank. Just adding more so I can slowly go 98% SPS when I want.

That’s definitely the direction I’ll migrate toward on lighting as mine fail due to age. Thanks for the update

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 72 35.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 52 25.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back