It's like they all disappeared over night! So do you have a set schedule to replenish?

Does your cleanup crew seem to disappear over night?

• Yes, one day I look up and they are gone.

Votes: 118 28.6%
  • No, I notice as they start to dwindle and I reorder.

Votes: 266 64.4%
  • No, I have a set time I reorder my crew. (please tell us about this in the thread)

Votes: 8 1.9%
  • I don't keep a cleanup crew in my tank.

Votes: 21 5.1%

• Total voters

Nate h

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the places that have them for sale have just a massive amount that they recommend for tank sizes in cleaner packs that they sell. I have a few different types of snails and a couple crabs and that is it. They have been in the tank for over a year now. I think it is all about a reasonable amount in the tank to help keep them around.

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only ever had to replenish my clean up crew a few times. I get enough that they seem to self regulate. I have snail eggs all over the place, and i'm hopeful that some of them make it to adulthood. But in the 5 years i've been reefing, I've only placed 3 clean up crew orders.
Same!

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only ever had to replenish my clean up crew a few times. I get enough that they seem to self regulate. I have snail eggs all over the place, and i'm hopeful that some of them make it to adulthood. But in the 5 years i've been reefing, I've only placed 3 clean up crew orders.
I see eggs all the time, but I have never seen baby snails.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To reduce my cleanup crew purchases.
This all opinion lol

1). My Snails always outnumber my hermits 5:1, if a hermit takes a snail shell, i still have plenty.
2). I do not buy turbo snails. I have a fromia starfish thats three years old, but turbos never live longer than a few months for me. So i do not buy them.
3.) i stick with the same species that have worked for a tank. Ceriths, whatever species the cyano eating ones from @PacificEastAquaculture are, and red bands.
4.). Feed them, once a week i drop a heavy piece of food so it makes it to the sandbed.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy a CUC basically as snacks for this guy. I'll get 25-30 nerites. They last a week or so. Astreas have a thicker shell. His favorite are nassarius, he blows the sand to expose them, lol. For some reason, he has never eaten a bumblebee snail.

Attachments

• VID_20191125_200446.mp4
    62 MB

Treenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So only 2 months into the tank and it seems I've had both problems already... at first snails and crabs dying all over... now I've seen around a dozen of baby snails everywhere no idea where they came. It seems to be 2 different kinds too(I bought 3 kinds), I'm wondering if they came with the chaeto.

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In ten months I’ve lost a couple hermits but that’s it. It sounds like you may have too many. I read that having too many causes them to die off quicker because they run out of food and their decay causes a spike in nutrient levels that feeds an algae outbreak

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is only a little over 2 years old but so far everyone is growing well including the CUC. I have 3 or 4 Trochus snails, a Nassarius snail and a Hermit that are all 2YO. Sand Sifter Starfish 18 month old. 4 Money Cowries 1YO. I know the Hermit (Crazy) can live to ~20 but will be interested to see how long the others last. The snails keep laying eggs but nothing has hatched yet that I have seen.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop treating your CUC as disposable tools, they are animals too!

I hate it when people get like 3 cuc per gallon, and complain when they’re nutrients go crazy when half of them die from lack of food.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the number of snail recommend is wrong...I keep maybe 3-4 Large turbos in a 210, they seem to live for years if enough algae is around...my advise is not to clean the glass daily... also Im pretty sure hermits do kill snails

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not replenished my cleanup crew in quite a while now. I have a few Mexican turbos in my reef. The black foot trochus snails I have breed and I get some babies in my sump, refugium, and frag tank. I have limpet snail hitchhikers that are breeding in the tank and are great algae eaters. I have a few varieties of small chitons, that breed in the tank. I do have starfish breeding in the tank and from what I can tell the variety that I have is not harming my corals. I got some nassarius snails that also breed as there are way more of them then when I started. I also have a couple other varieties of other snails that are small and only come out at night. I have a few hermit crabs which I think need to be replenished from time to time and cerith snails never took off in my tank which I think might also need a replenish. I used to have a lot of urchins in my reef as well but I moved them all over to my big fish tank where some of them have become meals.

NewGoby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would liked to have seen an option for "No they don't seem to dissapear overnight".

I feel like if your CUC dies off slowly, you have too many CUC members to feed your entire crew (if it isn't old age or a disease)

PurpleMonsterSlayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn’t answer this poll since I haven’t bought any clean up crew in years besides the occasional bumble bee snails. My astrea Mexican turbos and scarlet hermit crabs reproduce on the regular I usually end up selling them or giving them away to good homes.

Back