It's Official, Interceptor isn't coming back

bluwc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately we will no longer be able to purchase interceptor here in the states. We may have to order it from Australia as some of my friends have done. This not only affects the red bugs in our tanks but its devastating to people with dogs in the Herding Group that are affected with the MDR1 mutation. Unless I'm missing something, Interceptor is the only thing we can dose out entire system with....

Our Collie Club shared this Facebook post from our breed's rescue foundation

Collie Rescue Foundation.Org
33 minutes ago ·
PLEASE HELP ALL COLLIES - call Novartis and complain about the discontinuation of Interceptor in the USA. I was just informed that Novartis is keeping a record on all the calls & that they are starting to flow in. DO IT NOW - CALL THEM BEFORE MORE COLLIES DIE.
You can register a complaint about this by calling Novartis Technical Products Support Group At
1-800-637-0281

I did call then and was told it was a "business decision" and they were concentrating on Sentenal as it has flea meds. I stated that dog people weren't the only people who use this product and that I can't dose flea meds into my aquarium. Disappointing that the reps still continue to lie as late as last week when one was at my vets promising that they should expect shipment within 2-4 weeks. This formal announcement that interceptor will be made for use in the states is very recent. Maybe if they get enough complaints, they will consider bringing it back.

WesF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not official yet. They have been secretive about their product pipeline and have not made any official announcement.

They recently got FDA approval for "Interceptor Spectrum" which is Interceptor with Praziquantel. They have been using for a while in other countries. I used the new interceptor spectrum because it was all I could get. I got it from a Canadian pharmacy. It worked just as good. The prazi didnt harm anything and may even help with flatworms. :)

Speculation is that Interceptor Spectrum will replace regular Interceptor in the U.S. but everything is speculation at this point. Novartis refuses to comment on there future plans for products.

Interceptor is a good money making brand for Novartis. I doubt they will completely discontinue it. The problem is the keep stumbling with the FDA and have not been able to get licensed for production at the plant in question for almost 1.5 years. When the FDA loses confidence in your operation. It is alot of work to convince them that you have fixed all of the problems.

Here is one of the most recent articles I could find on the Novartis facility in question.

http://www.fiercepharma.com/story/otc-plant-bites-novartis-reputation-again/2013-02-01

Last edited:
OP
OP
bluwc

bluwc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to the lady I spoke with at Novartis this morning, it was a business decision to discontinue Interceptor all together. They said they will be focusing on their product Sentinel which has the same ingredients but flea meds added to it. I'm pretty sure this is a recent decision. If you call that number and ask if they decided to discontinue it in the United States, you will see they will confirm what I just wrote. I pressed #6 to speak w someone btw

The CEO that made the "business decision" is Mr. Folkert Kamphuis the address is Novartis Animal Health -3200 Northline Avenue Suite # 300-Greensboro, North Carolina 27408

WesF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There has been no press release that I have found and you would likely see alot of buzz on Wall Street about it.

I am not saying you are wrong. But I am skeptical because it would be all over financial news. Interceptor is a big brand. And call center people just read from the script. She was probably told to direct people to Sentinel because it will be first to market and is a good substitute if you use it for dogs.

WesF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It isn't so. We have a Novartis facility here in the area and someone on our local forum has a wife who works there. She just posted this yesterday. I hope she doesn't mind me posting this.

"Wife of xxxxx: I work for Novartis, Interceptor will come back,but it's been prioritized with the entire production lines from the plant. I also happen to raise Australian Shepherds and have contacted management with the plant directly. The Interceptor Spectrum (with only a tapeworm medicine added) can still be purchased from Australia. Sentinel was prioritized since it had the medication for heartworm in it and a flea lifecycle medication. I have heard it is back to being shipped and released so should be available soon. Keep writing letters, it's a great idea. I'll go back and talk with the division again and see what I can do. It IS on the schedule to come back. As far as I know it has NOT been removed from their portfolio."

Sexy Pat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently used the interceptor spectrum beef chewables and had excellent results. Ordered it out of australia

CMP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently used the interceptor spectrum beef chewables and had excellent results. Ordered it out of australia

When you used interceptor spectrum did you treat your tank or just as a dip? I'm planing on treating my tank and wanted to git some in put. Do you use the same amount as the old interceptor?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back