OP
john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THAT is going to be an impressive tank. Is it an old Oceanic?

Lol, right? Rookie move. Like I can read words?
yeah bro Oceanic. 5/8 inch glass. I beg friends to come over to help me lift and move this tank around. I think it'll be up and running by this weekend. Rehabbing this monster has been a chore to say the least

OP
OP
john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks great! One thing though, from my experience those type of ball valves stick and need to be cut out after a year or so. If its not too late, you may want to consider replacing with a cepex brand valve. Also, you can buy sch40 pvc already colored as well which would be better than painting pipes. Youre not to far to make those changes as you dont have water in yet.
I had these ball valves left over and laying around and was going to use them to be able to turn of flow to minimize back siphoning during maintenance. come to find out there is not much back siphoning going on when the pump is shut off. I put a union close to the bottom of all the bulkheads so I can switch out plumbing easily down the road if I so choose to do so.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was begging with beer, but I'll step it up a notch with some pulled pork and brisket. Good idea!

Sorry, bud, but my daughter's prom has to take precedence or I'd make the trip for some gen-u-ine Texas brisket.

OP
OP
john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And consider a gate valve if you do decide to change it out. It is easier to fine tune your siphon.
Sorry, bud, but my daughter's prom has to take precedence or I'd make the trip for some gen-u-ine Texas brisket.
Well, you'll have to catch us the next time. Out door is always open!

OP
OP
john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After some head scratching and numerous trips to the home improvement srore, I came up with this. External MRC SM1 beckett style skimmer powered by a Mag 12. The first chamber is where the water will dreain and where my gate valve for the skimmer is plugged in. There was no more romm in the sump, but this works and I like it. I may put my marinepure brick in this chamber also. The middle chamber will be a macro algae section, followed by the return section. The return section holds the heartbeat behind this with the Reef Octopus Varios 6. This DC return pump is rated just above 1700 gph. There will also be a Brightwell aquatics media brick..
18403261_10156184575375031_7239286019003713454_n.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 29 55.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 7.7%
Back