It's Time to Reef Again!

PaulAlmeida305

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I'm Paul,
Started a 40 Breeder Mixed Reef tank with a 20 Long DIY sump/refugium.
-Lighting: (2) Kessil A80 Tuna Blue, (1) ATI Super Blue 36w T5, (1) ATI Coral Plus 36w T5, (2) ATI True Actinic 36w T5 and moon light.
-In sump: 120DC Simplicity Skimmer, 300w Titanium Heater, 9w UV Light & Media reactor running chemi-pure blue both powered by a jebao 50 gph pump, 23" L x 8" D x 9" H refugium w/light 8w 6500k LED Micro Sun, a Jebao DCT 4000 return pump and 5 gal Kalk ATO.
-In Tank (2) Jebao SLW-10 Compact wavemaker, 50 lbs of mixed live and dry rock and 100 lbs of live sand.
-Supplements: Tropic Marin Bio-Actif Salt, Tropic Marin Carbo-Calcium liquid, Tropic Marin Strontium, Tropic Marin Magnesium, Tropic Marin Kalkwasser and Kent Lugol's Iodine.
-Food: PE Mysis & Calanus, Reef Roids, Ocean Magik Phyto-Plankton, Reef Caviar, Selcon Additive and Polyp -Booster.
-50 GPD RO/Di 4 stage Unit

My parameters are on Point and now I am ready to add corals and fish.

Looking for homegrown tanks.

IMG_4400.JPG

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!! It looks like you are off to a good start!

Clownfish.gif

OP
OP
PaulAlmeida305

PaulAlmeida305

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the community, looks awesome so far...are you doing a build thread?
What is a build thread?
I want to say that I'm an advanced reefer but it has been 10 years now since my last reef tank and I've noticed a lot of things have changed but a lot of things we started in college has remained in the hobbie and helped the hobbie grow. Life happens and I had to make my career a priority but now that my career is on cruise control I'm ready to start my hobbie. Found this site cause our old site (reefcentral) is just an archive now and hope to evolve like the hobbie has.

OP
OP
PaulAlmeida305

PaulAlmeida305

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOVE the Deep Sand Bed! Unfortunately not something we see often anymore! Good luck and welcome back :)
I noticed that the hobbie has gone away from the deep sand bed in order to increase flow and remove detritus but the benefits from the extra surface area in the tank that can hold beneficial bacteria to support the copepod and arthropods population comes from where without the deep sand bed?

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed that the hobbie has gone away from the deep sand bed in order to increase flow and remove detritus but the benefits from the extra surface area in the tank that can hold beneficial bacteria to support the copepod and arthropods population comes from where without the deep sand bed?
I've always used a moderate-deep sand bed, 20+ years now! The benefits are outstanding, sure theres some hiccups in the first couple years, but after that it blows the bare bottom outta the water with benefits.
Just set up a 220 with a 4-5" bed :)

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is a build thread?
I want to say that I'm an advanced reefer but it has been 10 years now since my last reef tank and I've noticed a lot of things have changed but a lot of things we started in college has remained in the hobbie and helped the hobbie grow. Life happens and I had to make my career a priority but now that my career is on cruise control I'm ready to start my hobbie. Found this site cause our old site (reefcentral) is just an archive now and hope to evolve like the hobbie has.
How to Create a Build Thread
Welcome to the Fishy Family! Sometimes what's old is new and we need experienced people to remind us of why those things shoud not have been forgotten.
Follow that link and we look forward to the Build Thread!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 52 43.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 42 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back