Ivan's Red Sea Max S650 Build and Red Sea s1000 upgrade

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the primary/spare pump design you have in place. Are the check valves to keep the flow from circling back into the sump? I might borrow the idea with a reef octopus and AC red sea pump.

OP
OP
ibondy

ibondy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are few pictures as I am exploring my new camera. Still learning, but looking better. :)
Neon_Torch.JPG
red coral.JPG

Rainbow_Ricordea.JPG

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SPR1968 Thank you Master! Really appreciate your feedback. Never had an idea there is so much to taking good pictures of the reef tank. :)
Your welcome!

If you look at the bottom 2 pictures, their out of focus, so you may need to get a tripod to stop the blur if your hand shakes slightly. This is especially important when close up.

You will soon learn, and I am very much learning

Take lots of pictures especially of fish when their moving and just keep the good ones

Photo editing is also very important to get a good finished picture, just to adjust the light etc

OP
OP
ibondy

ibondy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for tips! I have a tripod and I will give it try. Interestingly, at the times my camera complains there is not enough light and wants to use a flash, and will not take a picture, and this is in manual mode. I would expect that 5 AI 26 Hydra HD provide a plenty of light.

greenwind82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look great!!! Can you share some pictures how did you plumb the clarisea 5000? I have Red Sea s650 as well and interested in getting the clarisea. Thanks.

OP
OP
ibondy

ibondy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@greenwind82 - Thank you for visiting and your kind words.

Basically, I cut down a drain pipe, went from mm to standard pipe, put 45% elbow, union, another 45% elbow, 90% elbow to get my drain to the middle compartment and 90% elbow to get down to Clarisea. last connection between the drain pipe and Clarisea is not glued so it is easy to take Clarisea out. If you are wondering about bunch of elbows, I am not worried about it, as the return side will not allow more then about 600 gph, due to its pipe size. I am running about 530 gph on the return line and thinking about going to about 400-450 gph.
I love Clarisea and my better half, as well. :) No more using her washer to clean socks.
I am getting about 2+ months per Theiling roll and about 5-6 weeks on Clarisea roll. I do not see much difference between them, but the length.

Clarisea1.jPG
Clarisea2.JPG
clarisea3.JPG

Last edited:

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@greenwind82 - Thank you for visiting and your kind words.

Basically, I cut down a drain pipe, went from mm to standard pipe, put 45% elbow, union, another 45% elbow, 90% elbow to get my drain to the middle compartment and 90% elbow to get down to Clarisea. last connection between the drain pipe and Clarisea is not glued so it is easy to take Clarisea out. If you are wondering about bunch of elbows, I am not worried about it, as the return side will not allow more then about 600 gph, due to its pipe size. I am running about 530 gph on the return line and thinking about going to about 400-450 gph.
I love Clarisea and my better half, as well. :) No more using her washer to clean socks.
I am getting about 2+ months per Theiling roll and about 5-6 weeks on Clarisea roll. I do not see much difference between them, but the length.

Clarisea1.jPG
Clarisea2.JPG
clarisea3.JPG
It’s never ceases to amaze me how much kit you can fit in a sump! Lol

Very effective....

OP
OP
ibondy

ibondy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was fighting low pH over last few weeks, tried C02 reactor, with not much of success and then I run air hose from the skimmer to the outside and this is what I got! Totally awesome result, this week I will run a permanent air line with some carbon filtering on it. Looking forward to see how high pH will get.
1564442999091.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
ibondy

ibondy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was fighting low pH over last few weeks, tried C02 reactor, with not much of success and then I run air hose from the skimmer to the outside and this is what I got! Totally awesome result, this week I will run a permanent air line with some carbon filtering on it. Looking forward to see how high pH will get.
1564442999091.png

So I went from 7.86 average pH to 8.12 average pH by purchasing 3/8 line and run it from outdoor to my skimmer. Best $20 bucks I ever spent on this hobby. :cool:
Screen Shot 2019-08-04 at 2.10.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-04 at 2.10.56 PM.png

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also today @SuncrestReef graciously stopped by and gave me a lesson on taking coral pictures with a macro lens. Here are some result of his hard work on this camera operator, baby steps. ;)

R2R_IMG_0728.JPG
R2R_IMG_0734.JPG
R2R_IMG_0742.JPG
R2R_IMG_0745.JPG
R2R_IMG_0722.JPG
Very nice!

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also today @SuncrestReef graciously stopped by and gave me a lesson on taking coral pictures with a macro lens. Here are some result of his hard work on this camera operator, baby steps. ;)

R2R_IMG_0728.JPG
R2R_IMG_0734.JPG
R2R_IMG_0742.JPG
R2R_IMG_0745.JPG
R2R_IMG_0722.JPG

Nice shots! It was great to meet you and I loved your reef tank. Very nice setup and coral collection.

Looking forward to seeing more of your photos.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
OP
OP
ibondy

ibondy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ibondy

Ivan,
Your par chart with 5 ai's is some great stuff.

Is your 650 still doing well?
Thanks for stopping by. Yes, tank is doing great, little up and downs but mostly up. :) For last few weeks my NYOS skimmer would not restart after shutting down for feeding. It would not be a big deal, but as I am running outside air to the skimmer to raise my pH, when the skimmer did not restart, my pH started dropping. Motor started and run, but it did not draw any air in. I had to blow the air into airline or raise the skimmer above water level to get it going. Worked with Eco Tech Marine to solve the issue as part of the NYOS warranty. Replaced motorblock, no luck, replaced venturi and rotor unit and so far so good. Two days latter, it is still restarting every time.

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for stopping by. Yes, tank is doing great, little up and downs but mostly up. :) For last few weeks my NYOS skimmer would not restart after shutting down for feeding. It would not be a big deal, but as I am running outside air to the skimmer to raise my pH, when the skimmer did not restart, my pH started dropping. Motor started and run, but it did not draw any air in. I had to blow the air into airline or raise the skimmer above water level to get it going. Worked with Eco Tech Marine to solve the issue as part of the NYOS warranty. Replaced motorblock, no luck, replaced venturi and rotor unit and so far so good. Two days latter, it is still restarting every time.

@ibondy I am having the same issue with my skimmer not restarting on its own. I have an eshopps S-120. It only restarts when I raise the skimmer so that air hits the venturi entrance.
If I may, I am a noobie, can you tell me what is the "rotor unit"? I'll try to see if replacing that would fix it. Thanks.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 19 22.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back