Redsea s650 max valve leak

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

karyllgonzalez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a redsea s 650 max and my overflow valve is leaking. Thankfully it is random but you can see the sat crust on the photo. It is also vibrating, tank has gone from silent to sounding like a pump hum. I upgraded all the pumps to dc so they ran very silent and I have cleaned them all. My tank is close to the wall so direct visualization of the valve is not possible. I’m going to have to drain the tank to move it and fix the valve. My questions are

1. Is the bulkhead cemented in or can it be removed and exchanged.

2. Is there room above the valve to cut it out and replace it with a gate valve in the cabinet so I do t have to do this again.

3. What size hex/Allen key do I need to open the valve.

I have tried to reach out to my lfs and bulkreefsupply but they couldn’t answer. I have tried to reach out to redsea customer support but the phone number hangs up on me as soon as I ask for customer support and the email response could not give me a conclusive response.

IMG_7642.jpeg
IMG_7637.jpeg

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I ordered the repair kit for mine, rebuilt it and opened it wide open. Under near I cut the Metric pipe and got the adapter to standard and put a gate valve underneath. Worked flawlessly ever since.

apista

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of valve is the redsea, i cannot say i like them very much, if i ran a redsea it would be the first thing i would replace.

Last edited:

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It likely doesn’t matter now since this thread is from several weeks ago, but if there is enough room behind the tank it only takes 4 screws to take the valve apart and replace the diaphragm.

apista

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder why they use a diaphragm valve, probably the worse choice for the application.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder why they use a diaphragm valve, probably the worse choice for the application.
I have no idea why it’s what they use but it is what is on my s400. It was a pain to get adjusted at first but I honestly haven’t had much trouble out of mine since.

apista

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adjusting them is easy, keeping them adjusted was my issue with both red sea tanks. Same with everyone I know who owned a red sea, it would def be the first thing i’d replace.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back