I've been thinking too much, trying to get myself to order first corals.

Should I order my first corals?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Signalhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too many words for a simple guy like me to read, so I will ask this; sorry if it was covered:

“Do you have a local or within 45min to an hour shop to look at corals?”

I find that when I go look at corals, some always just end up coming home with me
Like a little kid.... mom,mom,MOM! if it follows me home can I keep it? Now to wife I don't know how they got in the car...really!

OP
OP
ZipAdeeZoa

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like a little kid.... mom,mom,MOM! if it follows me home can I keep it? Now to wife I don't know how they got in the car...really!
My poor mother, I don't think there is an animal native to my area that I didn't catch and bring into the house at some point or another... Somethings never change;Hilarious

OP
OP
ZipAdeeZoa

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I placed my order and they should all be arriving a week from tomorrow! I also took some bad photos with my cell on my laptop of the corals I'm getting, the zoas and Nepthea are Wysiwyg the blasto is the only one that isn't. I'll be sure to update this thread when they arrive!
IMG_9852.jpg
IMG_9854.jpg
IMG_9853.jpg

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grats on the coral purchases.

I started buying corals 3 months in, they went into my QT for a month and a half and into my tank about 5 months after it was setup. I feel like I have a comprehensive idea of coral "Categories" although there are a few gray areas, after going through a lot of eye candy research online. Once you start buying them, you'll get saturated with knowledge at a certain point, but definitely get started. Having corals in your tank will help reduce algae because they will compete for nutrients.

OP
OP
ZipAdeeZoa

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grats on the coral purchases.

I started buying corals 3 months in, they went into my QT for a month and a half and into my tank about 5 months after it was setup. I feel like I have a comprehensive idea of coral "Categories" although there are a few gray areas, after going through a lot of eye candy research online. Once you start buying them, you'll get saturated with knowledge at a certain point, but definitely get started. Having corals in your tank will help reduce algae because they will compete for nutrients.
Thanks!

Honestly my QT plan is for the coral is a little foggy- mainly because I recently forgot about that part;Dead

I have a 10 gallon qt that contains my fully QT'd fish (he's just been chilling in there for a few months now because I thought I was going to be moving the tank soon but that seems to be on hold now- I know once he gets in the DT I'm never getting him back out ;Hilarious). I guess the plan now is to put him in the DT and use the QT for the corals for a few weeks, only spare light I have is the one that came with the evo. I got some egg crate left over from when I did my qt lid so I'm just going to make a little frag rack and keep a close eye on them.

OP
OP
ZipAdeeZoa

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm a few days late but better late than never!

All the corals arrived on time and in great condition! they we're obviously not overly happy with being shipped but they we're packed really well and I was delighted to find a freeeby zoa frag! I made a quick DIY frag rack for them with some left over egg crate and super glued some Aqueon rings to the four corners to give it a little height. I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread and helped push me to take the plunge, I know this is just the beginning! Enjoy the photos!
IMG_9890.jpg
IMG_9894.jpg
IMG_9922.jpg
IMG_9909.jpg
IMG_9921.jpg
IMG_9920.jpg

If anyone wants more details than that you can check out my build thread!(https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/z...-13-5-build-thread.530315/page-2#post-6542769)

Thanks again everyone!

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

I'm starting this thread because I'm trying to talk myself into pulling the trigger on my first coral purchase. I understand the importance of patience in this hobby. My first saltwater tank has been years in the making through a combination of diligent research and youtube spirals and 11 or so months ago I started acquiring gear and methodically planning my tank. I set that tank up in December and have been maintaining and learning from my tank. I decided to set up my tank following key concepts from the BRS/WWC hybrid method adapted for a smaller Softy/LPS tank. The hybrid method calls for waiting 3 months before adding corals to the system and I am now nearing 10 months into my three month wait.

My obsession with corals has not dwindled in that time, things have gotten to the point where I open google to do something productive and only 30 minutes later do I realize I have gone to a coral vendors website subconsciously and simply been glued to the fantastic colours and beauty of various softies and LPS. There are many moving parts that have caused this delay but I believe I've narrowed it down to the following:

My insecurities as a reefer. Saltwater is a new frontier for me and the learning curve for it has been far steeper than that of any of the other animals I keep and although I've invested 9 months into caring for my setup I still don't feel like I have that pulse on this environment the way I do for my freshwater tanks.

Green hair algae. My 2 hermit crabs keep it quite short on the rock work where they can reach it and I assist with it on the glass on bimonthly basis. it hasn't really gotten worse in the 9 months the tank has been running but I feel like its presence means that I haven't figured out this system well enough to venture into corals even if I'm only selecting hardier species (I've got a frag of yellow hornets, blasto and electric green nepthea in my cart).

Not having my Battery Backup installed A) because I'm still working with ecotech about getting my mp10 working B) Not sure if the tank is in it's final place, may be switching rooms in the next few months and although its only a 13.5 gallon tank I know moving tanks is a big production regardless.

Chronic overthinking. Example, this thread...

So I've figured instead of loosing more sleep over this I'm just going to put it to a poll and leave it open for discussion, not sure how far it will go since two of three corals are wysiwyg! Photo of the tank in its current state other than the glass and back have all recently been scrubbed, thanks in advance!
IMG_9372.jpg
Don't forget coral bans. Longer you wait, maybe no corals when you do decide. Time is now. No looking back. ........
Take it from me, I'm a doctor. ......

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new additions. Looks like you are holding them in QT?

BayouReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you be different than the rest of us, LOL!!! Buy some tester corals, I hate using that term but its the truth, and test out your tank.

But I will WARN YOU, once you start to buy corals its hard to stop, LOL!!! ;Hilarious
That’s just not true buying corals is like eating Lays potato chips “you can eat just one” ok wait that was a bad analogy! Just do it!

OP
OP
ZipAdeeZoa

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool stuff
Thanks!
Don't forget coral bans. Longer you wait, maybe no corals when you do decide. Time is now. No looking back. ........
Take it from me, I'm a doctor. ......
The place I'm buying from frags most of their corals in house so I should be good but...
Girlfriend: GIVE ME THE CREDIT CARD YOUR NOT SPENDING 600 ON CORALS
Me: I have a prescription!
Girlfriend: FROM WHO???
Me: Some guy online!
Girlfriend: .....
Congrats on the new additions. Looks like you are holding them in QT?
Thanks! I certainly am, planning on doing 2 weeks, maybe 3 with bi daily look overs. When I dipped I saw a piece of starfish so I'm keeping a look out for those, other than that the only concerning thing I see is a spiniod worm (not sure if its realistic to prevent those from entering my tank at some point).
That’s just not true buying corals is like eating Lays potato chips “you can eat just one” ok wait that was a bad analogy! Just do it!
I thought getting corals would make check the website less...opposite effect;Hilarious

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back