Iwaki pumps for ATO?

Jasontkd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can an Iwaki external pump work as an ATO pump? Or will the frequent short on/off cycles cause it to fail?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you have a controller that could limit the top off to once every 30 min or hour? Out of curiosity, is your ATO reservoir and your DT on two different floors?

OP
OP
J

Jasontkd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is somewhat of a long story, but I set up a 90 gallon recently and planned to have the top off under the stand, but I have far more evaporation than I was expecting.
The only place I really have for more water storage is in the basement right below the tank where I already have my mixing station.

so I thought I could use the same pump and hook it to my ATO switch.
I currently don’t have a controller but am looking to pick up an apex on Black Friday. Would that allow me to do it?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I figured that a challenge involving two stories was the reason for the Iwaki. Someone with more experience with controllers will need to tell you how to program it, but I believe that it is possible to limit the frequency of topping of the tank as suggested above.

@shred5 @DarthSimon

OP
OP
J

Jasontkd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
couldn't I just plug my ATO into a simple timer? Once an hour it would power on, and if the float switch is also active, it would power on the pump.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
couldn't I just plug my ATO into a simple timer? Once an hour it would power on, and if the float switch is also active, it would power on the pump.

Yes, that is the general idea.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Iwaki will work fine in short bursts. Please get a real ATO like an Osmolator instead of using a timer - they have timers, float and optical eye. You can get an AC relay for the Osmolator to run the Iwaki. Mag Drive pumps (12, 18 or 24) also work well for this if you need a submergible option - they can pump quite high with small diameter tubing.

I would also neck the Iwaki down to like 3/4 or 1/4 tubing so that it does not fill too fast.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%

Back