J Fox's First Reef - BioCube 29

J Fox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I've been lurking around here reading and learning for a while. Finally have my very first reef/salt tank up and running. It has actually finished cycling now and diatoms are cleared out. I have a few frags in it now as well as a shrimp and too many Turbo snails. Trying different areas with frags to make sure they like it and leaving them unglued overnight with Turbo snails is not working ! First time glueing today ! Wish me luck:)

image_zpsvztyuyr5.jpeg

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow.. Looks great! Love your control center, very professionally done. I have a BC also and love it!

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! What are you running in the control board and what mods have you made? Did you make the control board or buy? Thanks.

OP
OP
J Fox

J Fox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Helen.. I made the control board and power cabinet to match the Coralife stand that came with tank. I also lit both cabinets, and had a Synergy Reefs ATO tank made to fit.
Modifications on tank include:
Main pump upgraded to MJ 1200 -
Middle chamber has an InTank media basket and Tunze 9001 skimmer -
Neptune APEX controller with VorTech WXM control module and Breakout Box
EB8 and EB4 energy bars
Tunze 3155 ATO
Vortech MP10
NanoBox LED light upgrade (retro fit) for BioCube w/ Storm Controller

image_zpsk3jyqlii.jpeg

Last edited:

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank You! Very Nice!!

If you lived a little closer would have to bribe you to make me one :rolleyes: LOL!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very cool!

OP
OP
J Fox

J Fox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my water room, BRS RO/DI system Home made stand w Rubbermaid collection can with added spout.

image_zpsvlm1r3fi.jpeg

image_zpsfs61mrrs.jpeg

Last edited:

recess62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the control center. Can you share some details on how you built it? More specifically the vertical panel?

Scubafrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking Biocube.

Any pictures of the NanoBox LED light upgrade? How difficult was it to install in the lid?

OP
OP
J Fox

J Fox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the control center. Can you share some details on how you built it? More specifically the vertical panel?
Sure thing... The small cube cabinet at the bottom was a purchase from Amazon. It is 16" wide so I purchased a 16" wide black shelf from Home Depot, as well as a 8" wide shelf to rip down to make the small sides on back board to stiffen it and help hide wires behind it. (There is a LOT ) If you'd like to see some pics of that during assembly I think I have some in my phone I could post tomorrow.

OP
OP
J Fox

J Fox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking Biocube.

Any pictures of the NanoBox LED light upgrade? How difficult was it to install in the lid?
I have a lot of pictures - I could post tomorrow as well if you'd like to see them. And it was easy to install honestly. Dave makes his retrofits very easy. NO soldering - It is so neat and tidy compared to others... Runs cool and fan is silent. Kit now comes with BlueFish wireless control. I will try to post some pics tomorrow.

OP
OP
J Fox

J Fox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so I am going to try to bring this old thread back to life for advice - Bottom line is life got in the way and this tank got away from me. Poor husbandry has left it a mess. I am however in the process of bringing it back to all its glory.
Turkey baster and multiple water changes to start. One every few days at least.
the media basket is getting all new media -
The Apex firmware has to be updated as does the Vortech pump apparently. It shows (missing) on my Apex control panel and only runs with the dial green and wide open ! I have it unplugged currently.
I am wondering what everyone's thoughts are on some hermit crabs to help clean up a bit ? I added two Turbo snails last night and hope they start getting busy.
Water test (old school Instant Ocean Hydrometer ) showed only 1.022 sg. I had been keeping .026
When i siphoned the water off this AM I came close to sand and lifted a lot of the then algae off the sand - and maybe some sand. Wondering if adding some sand after the fact is common ?
Anyway thank you in advance for any advice and moral support you all can give me - And I know this post is all over the place so if you want to pick just one topic and offer up anything that is fine !

Here it is currently, and my prize coral that I do not want to lose. That coral I bought as just two trumpets !
IMG_8259.jpg
IMG_8260.jpg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 46 29.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 44 27.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.1%
Back