OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raise the light and maybe add a power head. See how that goes before you buy another light.

Yes something that lights across the entire tank is gonna to have better coverage.

My tank is 36" and I have a black box on the left and a 175w metal halide on the right
I still need to get a bracket for it so... ;Cyclops

I will try to get another powerhead.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info in here. Id try running with what you have. I ran old school black box and grew corals totally fine. One of them was putting out 400par cranked all the way up! Def raise the lamp. Looks super bright. May even want to turn it down a bit.
Your corals will tell you what they like. Basic numbers are thrown out as guidelines but everyone's system is different and will require different means.
Far as the cyano def siphon out with decent water change.
If you treat with chemiclean the cyano will melt and release Nitrates back in water. Remove as much as you can.
Add power head get water moving. Raise lamp. Maybe turn it down a bit.
Id pull out rock, scrub and rinse in your water change water.
A good deep clean, water movement looks well in order here.
You need to turn tables on the fight.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a vispactra led unit that's quite weighty, I used a garden hanging basket bracket to save money, cost about £1. I used 2x 3inch bolts with good wallplugs, I put a 3rd 3inch normal screw for security, this works and something I can upgrade to later , you could use 2x if necessary

Attachments

• IMG20210529202547.jpg
    IMG20210529202547.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG20210529202600.jpg
    IMG20210529202600.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 44

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the power head. I didn't realize you were missing one. Gotta get that water moving! Will make a huge difference and make your corals and fish happy. In the long run a better light will always be better, but if you raise yours as everyone is stating it will give you the proper coverage you need. From there you can see if you need to upgrade or not depending on your wants/ needs. For now adding a power head and raising that light will help tremendously to the overall health of the system.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the power head. I didn't realize you were missing one. Gotta get that water moving! Will make a huge difference and make your corals and fish happy. In the long run a better light will always be better, but if you raise yours as everyone is stating it will give you the proper coverage you need. From there you can see if you need to upgrade or not depending on your wants/ needs. For now adding a power head and raising that light will help tremendously to the overall health of the system.
Ok, thanks! I will get another powerhead.

I have a vispactra led unit that's quite weighty, I used a garden hanging basket bracket to save money, cost about £1. I used 2x 3inch bolts with good wallplugs, I put a 3rd 3inch normal screw for security, this works and something I can upgrade to later , you could use 2x if necessary
That’s cool!

Issue is, I have a window behind the tank, so I can’t hang like that. :(

I will have to get something that attaches to the tank or hangs from the ceiling. (preferably the first)

Great info in here. Id try running with what you have. I ran old school black box and grew corals totally fine. One of them was putting out 400par cranked all the way up! Def raise the lamp. Looks super bright. May even want to turn it down a bit.
Your corals will tell you what they like. Basic numbers are thrown out as guidelines but everyone's system is different and will require different means.
Far as the cyano def siphon out with decent water change.
If you treat with chemiclean the cyano will melt and release Nitrates back in water. Remove as much as you can.
Add power head get water moving. Raise lamp. Maybe turn it down a bit.
Id pull out rock, scrub and rinse in your water change water.
A good deep clean, water movement looks well in order here.
You need to turn tables on the fight.
I’ll try to siphon out as much as I can, thanks a lot!

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one rock that grows turf algae. I take it out once a month or so and give it a good scrub. Each time it's slower and slower to come back.

I know I need more cuc so I'm thinking once I get that I'm it won't be a problem anymore

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one rock that grows turf algae. I take it out once a month or so and give it a good scrub. Each time it's slower and slower to come back.

I know I need more cuc so I'm thinking once I get that I'm it won't be a problem anymore
I know I shouldn't rely on CUC to take care of my problems, but should I get more snails? (My LFS has a 3x snails for $10 deal going on)

Also, what are the best snails for algae?

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m also dealing with cyano it’s tuff but it’s subsiding I’m dealing with bringing my corals back to life i dosed vibrant and put a ton of chemi pure blue and stripped out all my nutrients so corals shrank and almost melted the only healthy survivor is the Kenya tree

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m also dealing with cyano it’s tuff but it’s subsiding I’m dealing with bringing my corals back to life i dosed vibrant and put a ton of chemi pure blue and stripped out all my nutrients so corals shrank and almost melted the only healthy survivor is the Kenya tree
How is your hammer doing?

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup sorry about that. Nitrates and Phosphates. Your going to want some detectable levels and a way to test for phosphates. If you let them bottom out you could end up with worse problems like dinos.
On new system started with dry rock its reccomended 2-5 ppm Nitrates. Phosphates .03-05.
I've seen @danieyella posting about dosing probidio to beat cyano. Maybe she can chime in and help with that method.
Most common answers you will get is better flow in tank around areas its growing. Your case is full on outbreak.
Check your nutrients and maintain them.
Id siphon up everything you can see with water change.
I used chemiclean and works wonders.
I'm not sure id use it in your situation unless you have somewhere to put livestock for at least 24 hours
You need alot of aeration for it to be effective. Probably a few airstones in tank honestly that may stress your fish out.
Maybe @fishguy242 and rest of crew can help as well.
Hey, yes so... My experience it can be so many things. Chemiclean never worked for me, ever.

Make sure nutrients are balanced, some of each is fine, too much of one and not the other is not. Nothing of either has never been good in my experience.

Increase flow if that area is low flow.

And lots of the right bacteria. I prefer biodigest by prodibio

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, yes so... My experience it can be so many things. Chemiclean never worked for me, ever.

Make sure nutrients are balanced, some of each is fine, too much of one and not the other is not. Nothing of either has never been good in my experience.

Increase flow if that area is low flow.

And lots of the right bacteria. I prefer biodigest by prodibio
I will try to get another powerhead tomorrow.

—-

Do you guys have any suggestions for brackets for the light? Will most fit my light?

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be worth it? :p ;Hilarious ;Bucktooth ;Facepalm;Dead
5A78D299-DA54-4B83-9639-817BCBCD4AFF.jpeg

I would also get a free torch if I purchased by Monday.

I would literally be buying a Purple With Neon Tip Torch for only $50...

Last edited:
OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don’t need more coral though... ;Bucktooth

Plus my tank isn’t stable enough for a torch? But I don’t know when a deal like this will come around again..

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think so , from what I read last time your last torch or frogspawn didn’t survive , give your tank time to resolve the cyano issue before you introduce more corol, also I think you should blur out your address on that picture some weirdos can get a hold of it

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
would like to see pic of mushroom.. ;)

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think so , from what I read last time your last torch or frogspawn didn’t survive , give your tank time to resolve the cyano issue before you introduce more corol, also I think you should blur out your address on that picture some weirdos can get a hold of it
Shoot, forgot about the address. ;Dead

Back