Janss Pipefish and Stinging Coral

Ace6090

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, looking for some advice. My LFS has a Janss Pipefish that has been on frozen for a month in a tank with Zoa's and small LPS. I would like to get it but upon further reading have some questions. My tank has some Aiptasia ranging in size from small to 2" in diameter. I have been slowly eradicating them but it takes time. I would like to get a Janss Pipefish but hear they might not fair well with Aiptasia or other coral.

Has anyone had any experience with Janss Pipefish and Aiptasia or stinging coral?

Corals:
Duncan
Torch
Candy Cane
Maze Brain
Acan
Acro
Plate Coral

Fish
Purple Tang
2 Clown
Blue Damsel
3 Anthias

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pipefish is a calm lagoon hide in the grass fish. Similar to a seahorse. Most are kept in tanks in species only tanks or with seahorses. They need a variety of live foods. They need macro algae or sea grasses to hide and move around in. They are not good at competing with other fish for food. Im not sure you could keep one with more aggressive fish and the higher flow you have in your tank.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Paul B has Janss pipe fish in his mixed reek tank that he has longterm success with you might drop him a PM and ask him. If you can provide for them you should have good success.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Janss pipefish are a reef species so I wouldn't be worried about mixing them with corals. Anemones is another issue but you'd need to make a judgement call, perhaps deal with them before adding the pipefish (larger anemones species than aiptasia are the ones I'd be concerned about, aiptasia shouldn't be a problem unless you are really unlucky).
They do well with higher flow as this is natural to them but make sure they can't be sucked into your wave maker.
Other fish out competing them is a real issue so you need to make sure they get enough food but other than that they make great additions to reefs.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 186 72.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 47 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back