Jason Fox Dipped a Monti Nudi in Bayer for 24hours and it didn't die

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if this video is already on here, but its 1.5hr long talk by Jason Fox. At about the 17:30 mark he discusses quarantining corals. He uses revive, but says that coral dips dont have any effect on monti nudis or zoa nudis. He said he even put a monti nudi in bayer in a ziploc bag for 24 hours and it didnt kill them, just to try it. I am not sure how that is possible, but I am not sure why he would say that unless it was true. I have always been hesitant of using Bayer anyway, with having small children in the house and the risk of contamination of my tank/harming fish etc.

I just thought I would mention that and also share this video in case people haven't seen it. A lot of interesting stuff:

some early highlights:

-2 of his tanks only run blue actinic t5 and reef brite strips (400g cube and 150g living room display)

-his 700g tank adds halides, but only runs them for 3 hours a day.

-lists params as #1, flow as #2, lighting as #3

-stresses importance of pulsing flow.

I am only 19 mins in, about to watch the rest:) Enjoy

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I bayer dip, all i care about is it packing enough punch to enable me to blow off anything that may be feasting.

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An this is news.:) Monti nudi's are really tough and not easy to kill found this out 25 years ago.:)
Definitely news for those less reefwise ;)

I am actually not sure how it's possible because it's a neurotoxin if I'm not mistaken. It should kill anything with a nervous system at the right concentration, including humans.

DereksReef77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not true, I've personally seen it kill many things I don't want in my tank.

Really have you killed aefw or nudis or zoa spiders? I've had 2 of the 3 major pests and it didn't do anything to them. All that I have killed with bayer is sps frags. To each their own, I've learned my lesson and will never use bayer again!!

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely news for those less reefwise ;)

I am actually not sure how it's possible because it's a neurotoxin if I'm not mistaken. It should kill anything with a nervous system at the right concentration, including humans.

An Monti nudits or sea spiders are normal animals.:) They are tough and can cause you to take down a whole system to rid yourself of them.:)

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really have you killed aefw or nudis or zoa spiders? I've had 2 of the 3 major pests and it didn't do **** to them. All that I have killed with bayer is sps frags. To each their own,I I've learned my lesson and will never use bayer again!!
Yes I've killed aefw. Interesting that you've killed sps frags with Bayer because in my experience it is more gentle than other dips. I stopped using it once my wife got pregnant though : )

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry but I don't believe that one bit. I left aefw in bayer dip and they were still crawling around 24-48 hours later. I have over 100 high end sps and eradicated aefw with just plain old turkey basting with tank water.
What you believe is of little consequence to me. I have used bayer to kill AEFW and I have not lost any frags because of using bayer. I can appreciate that your experience has been different than mine though.

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An Monti nudits or sea spiders are normal animals.:) They are tough and can cause you to take down a whole system to rid yourself of them.:)
Normal/tough means nothing if you have a nervous system and are exposed to neurotoxin at the lethal concentration. I agree though, they are tough sobs. Maybe they don't have nervous systems lol, I dunno. I'm no biologist.

DereksReef77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I don't care that you think I'm lying. Your experiences are worth sharing but no one appreciates that.

Did I say you were lying? I stated that I don't believe that one bit, cause I have used bayer with no real results. If my personal experiences with bayer constitutes you a liar then that is pretty far fetched imo. If you want I have 5-6 bottles of bayer I'll sell them to you since you love using it sooooo much. Just pm me lol!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back