Jason Fox Jack-O-Lantern Leptoseris Care Help!!

e.litvin

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered a very small frag of this amazing lepto. With it being so small I don't really have time to place it in the wrong spot. I have a 40g breeder with led lighting, only one powerhead so I can do a strong flow area or very low flow area no problem.

Also curious on what you found that helps with growth? Certain food, supplements, etc.

Any advice helps, thanks everyone!!

Fatmike92

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a frag of this coming on tuesday. So i am also interested in some help!

tagging along

RichieT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an LPS coral. I've been keeping it under LEDs with great success. Mid-way up the tank (about 12-14 inches from the LEDS) with moderate flow and I'm seeing good growth. I don't do any direct feeding, but I do use AZOX 2-3 times a week.

EDIT: I was wrong. Is a LPS not a SPS Coral

Last edited:

Fatmike92

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an SPS coral. I've been keeping it under LEDs with great success. Mid-way up the tank (about 12-14 inches from the LEDS) with moderate flow and I'm seeing good growth. I don't do any direct feeding, but I do use AZOX 2-3 times a week.

ha i have a spot ready for mine and that sounds exactly like what where is is in my tank! so ill stay the course lol

OP
OP
E

e.litvin

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet, I appreciate the advice. Looks like i'll have to find a nice little spot for mine somewhere in that ballpark area.

darryl_v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its more of an LPS coral. They are found pretty deep from what I read...I think fairly low light and flow....at least compared to most SPS.

rosko23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have had great success with this is my tank.. i have like 5 diff pieces in my tank in all different areas... i think moderate light with moderate flow is best for it.. and its technically an SPS but i treat like lps

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info on the JF Jack O Lantern lepto.

I have mine in a 40 Breeder with Kessil a350. Currently the frag plug is on the sandbed with no growth.

I'll try and move it up higher into the rockscape.

chgoblknazn

Popcorn Popper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. It seems that no one really knows what these are and what proper care for them should be.

From what I have read, they are found in deep water where there is little light and lower flow but in various tanks, they seem to be able to tolerate different conditions. I've followed the advice of those who have seen these in the ocean in person and keep them in lower light in lighter flow.

Orange Leptoseris coral is a perfect storm of color, texture and pattern | Reef Builders | The Reef and Marine Aquarium Blog and Magazine

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep mine on bottom of tank under led under moderate/low flow and it grows fast for me. Easily one my favorite corals in the tank.

Nuocmam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of LED lighting are you talking about over your 40? That would help. I have mine under 6 lamp ATI PowerModule completely shaded(as in from the top down you can't seeit)and it grows well.

ls2ttgto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep mine on the sandbed - low light. Low - moderate water flow. Seems to be doing great!
ejahy4uz.jpg

stylaster

Reefer since '90
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is under 250w 20k radium about 28" from the bulb, so a long way down. Here is a pic of mine
lepto.jpg

riksreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a lepto from world wide a while ago and it's under led...it has done amazingly well! It's about 4"x5" and a sloooooowwww grower! It's on a rock about 3" from the bottom..... Peak out my wht at 100 for about two hours.... Remember, it's a deep water coral....

Z-man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have mine on a ledge about an inch above the bottom of my 125 directly under a 14K Phoenix 150 watt MH. The ledge is flanked by a couple of other rocks and the water flows up and over the frag. It is growing daily and it is easy to see the growth. I feed mainly frozen mysis, brine, or marine cuisine to the fish and the Lepto usually catches one or two of the pieces. I also weekly feed Marin Fauna LPS pellets to it.

To recap, medium light with medium flow. I have next to a couple of chalices like a Pink ******* and Mummy Eye. Chalices are slightly higher up.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back