Jawbreaker propagation

twofinhogie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During Black Friday, I was lucky enough to score a killer deal on a jawbreaker (Poletti I’m guessing) and had it arrive on December 1st. The timing wasn’t the best as when I bought it, I was just coming back from a tank crash where I lost all of my euphyllia a couple mushrooms and zoas. Oh well. I wish I got more photos of it but this is the only one I have from that time.
IMG_3228.jpeg

After about 15 days and seeing a nice healthy foot leading in two different directions I said why the heck let’s see if I can propagate this sucker. Well I took it out and used a fresh razor blade to cut two “boogers” off and placed them right back into the tank. The well anchored one got glued to a frag plug while the other one sat in a frag box. This is just after cutting.
IMG_3264.jpeg

At this point I was heading out for two weeks so I setup an ATO and crossed my fingers hoping nothing would go wrong and at very best, I’d have a new mushroom when I returned. When I did get back I was delighted to see not only had none of my corals died, I now had two baby jawbreakers!

IMG_3375.jpeg

Now it’s been about another two weeks and everyone is looking great. Since it worked out so well I decided to glue shards of other frag plugs onto and under the “mother” JB so as soon as enough foot grows onto a piece, I can just give it a quick slice and pop off another booger. This is also helping me display the mother by taking away the bell shape and giving it some support.

IMG_3390.jpeg
IMG_3391.jpeg
IMG_3387.jpeg
IMG_3392.jpeg
IMG_3393.jpeg

Anyways, just thought I’d share my experience for anyone trying to give it a shot. 10/10 would and will do again. Next time I’ll try to get some photos of the actual cutting part if I remember.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
JB's do well in propagating themselves. i started with 3 (sold 2, kept 1) and now i have about 6-8. about two years (probably less) in my tank.

great job doing it yourself, though!

OP
OP
twofinhogie

twofinhogie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JB's do well in propagating themselves. i started with 3 (sold 2, kept 1) and now i have about 6-8. about two years (probably less) in my tank.

great job doing it yourself, though!
Yeah, I’ve noticed with other people’s collections they seem to drop well.
This was more for me to gain some experience that I can maybe take to my other mushrooms.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 26 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back