New Jawbreaker? Anyone seen one of these before?

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a couple mushrooms coming, one of which I've never seen before. I was wondering if any of you have and, if so, where? I'm not worried about it being a "named" mushroom... I liked it enough to buy it already... I'm just wondering if anyone has seen it before. :D

This is the picture that sold me...

413939856_687474273250151_8670543858002824888_n.jpg

It's a Discosoma, and it looks to have the texture of a "Jawbreaker", but the pattern and colors are new. I was told it came in on a shipment from Taiwan. I've seen something similar from Corals Anonymous called a "Fairy Devil Jawbreaker", but it's pretty obviously different (and I'm told that's an Aussie import). It's not a Red Devil, and it's not an Interstellar in pattern or texture.

So... Have any of you seen this before?

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a couple mushrooms coming, one of which I've never seen before. I was wondering if any of you have and, if so, where? I'm not worried about it being a "named" mushroom... I liked it enough to buy it already... I'm just wondering if anyone has seen it before. :D

This is the picture that sold me...

413939856_687474273250151_8670543858002824888_n.jpg

It's a Discosoma, and it looks to have the texture of a "Jawbreaker", but the pattern and colors are new. I was told it came in on a shipment from Taiwan. I've seen something similar from Corals Anonymous called a "Fairy Devil Jawbreaker", but it's pretty obviously different (and I'm told that's an Aussie import). It's not a Red Devil, and it's not an Interstellar in pattern or texture.

So... Have any of you seen this before?
There are a ridiculously large number of beautiful rhodactis and discosoma color morphs out there in the ocean. For whatever reason very few people actually want them. I've seen very similar Red discosomas, but idk that I've ever seen exactly that before.

That being said it's a beautiful mushroom and they're some of my favorite corals. I wish they got more love.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my frustration with mushrooms is the branding. Unless you have jawbreakers or bounce shrooms nobody cares. It's silly because some of the color morphs of rhodactis and discosoma out there are SO much prettier than those 2 groups, but those are the only ones people seem to care about. St. Thomas mushrooms are getting more popular recently, but I just wish as a whole they got more love. They're so unique

OP
OP
Hooz

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a ridiculously large number of beautiful rhodactis and discosoma color morphs out there in the ocean. For whatever reason very few people actually want them. I've seen very similar Red discosomas, but idk that I've ever seen exactly that before.

That being said it's a beautiful mushroom and they're some of my favorite corals. I wish they got more love.

I have a small (home) office tank just for discosomas. I have or plan to get most of the typical Jawbreakers, but I'm looking for some colors other than orange too. :D

So far I have a Kryptonite JB, Candy Crush, Eclectus, Reverse Eclectus, Reverse JB, two different strains of "normal" JB, and a Purple Monster. This order has the pink one pictured above and a Rainbow Deadpool JB (like a normal Deadpool, but also has blue and white specs).

Always on the lookout for more, the one issue being that it's a small tank, so I can't get any super fast growers or they'll take everything over.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back