Have you ever seen an overhead return system before?

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was window shopping on FB Marketplace and saw this tank setup I've never seen before:
1712022365569.png
1712022382954.png

I thought it was really interesting! I wonder what the flow would be like. Has anyone played with this kind of setup before?

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that guys main motivation was trying to get flow across the tank because it looks like a peninsula?? Really interesting for sure lol.

MrBrbsmoke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are actually a thing for some people over here in Japan. I've seen not only overhead returns but overhead sumps which are pretty neat, mostly since they're quite long and have pretty cool refugium in them.

MrBrbsmoke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I feel bad not posting any examples but the one's I've seen are in private homes so here is a blog post from someone in Japan who wanted to not only increase water volume in his tank but have a refugium with limited space, giving a bit of DIY instructions to others who want to do the same.

IMG_3676a.jpg

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I feel bad not posting any examples but the one's I've seen are in private homes so here is a blog post from someone in Japan who wanted to not only increase water volume in his tank but have a refugium with limited space, giving a bit of DIY instructions to others who want to do the same.

IMG_3676a.jpg
Here was mine:

1712033850100.png

MrBrbsmoke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here was mine:

1712033850100.png
I like the idea of them but I am already pushing space (and weight) on my rack. The best one I've seen was a girl who is in the masters program (I think PhD now?) at a local university who was breeding seahorses above her reef tank. It's kind of serene to first have the corals in the tank grab your eye and then glance up a little and realize there are a bunch of little guys hanging out above doing their own thing too.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its common in river setups where u need uniform flow and not a random wave like a reef.

IF you think that is cool, there are something called sloped river tanks, which have drains in one end, and high powered jets pushing water back to the other side.

These guys will rival large reef tanks any day of the week.
I wanted one of these, but they are rediculously expensive to setup, and evap is on another level.
Also the noise.... oh god the noise...

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That IS extremely cool .....

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back