Have you ever seen an overhead return system before?

  • Thread starter Thread starter strich
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

strich

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 28, 2024
Messages
781
Reaction score
972
Location
Queensland, Australia
What state or country do you live in
Australia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was window shopping on FB Marketplace and saw this tank setup I've never seen before:
1712022365569.png
1712022382954.png


I thought it was really interesting! I wonder what the flow would be like. Has anyone played with this kind of setup before?
 
Nope, never seen a set up like that haha

I had an overhead sump if that counts. . . but nothing like that ^^^
 
I think that guys main motivation was trying to get flow across the tank because it looks like a peninsula?? Really interesting for sure lol.
 
These are actually a thing for some people over here in Japan. I've seen not only overhead returns but overhead sumps which are pretty neat, mostly since they're quite long and have pretty cool refugium in them.
 
https://www.aquahermit.com/mudsystembegin
I feel bad not posting any examples but the one's I've seen are in private homes so here is a blog post from someone in Japan who wanted to not only increase water volume in his tank but have a refugium with limited space, giving a bit of DIY instructions to others who want to do the same.

IMG_3676a.jpg
 
https://www.aquahermit.com/mudsystembegin
I feel bad not posting any examples but the one's I've seen are in private homes so here is a blog post from someone in Japan who wanted to not only increase water volume in his tank but have a refugium with limited space, giving a bit of DIY instructions to others who want to do the same.

IMG_3676a.jpg
Here was mine:

1712033850100.png
 
Here was mine:

1712033850100.png
I like the idea of them but I am already pushing space (and weight) on my rack. The best one I've seen was a girl who is in the masters program (I think PhD now?) at a local university who was breeding seahorses above her reef tank. It's kind of serene to first have the corals in the tank grab your eye and then glance up a little and realize there are a bunch of little guys hanging out above doing their own thing too.
 
its common in river setups where u need uniform flow and not a random wave like a reef.

IF you think that is cool, there are something called sloped river tanks, which have drains in one end, and high powered jets pushing water back to the other side.



These guys will rival large reef tanks any day of the week.
I wanted one of these, but they are rediculously expensive to setup, and evap is on another level.
Also the noise.... oh god the noise...
 
Last edited:
That IS extremely cool .....
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 16 20.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 10 13.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new