0   0   0
First saltwater tank ever
81866F59-633F-4D01-89A8-BE7795C3B1FC.jpeg
Live Sand
Live Rock
Added additional Powerhead
Aquamaxx HOB 1.5
AI Prime HD light.
Replaced ceramic rings with pourous rock media.
Wish I would of went the rimless lidless route when buying it..

Hope to add a clown pair and a soft coral they may take a liking to soonish.

Was wondering if an all snail CUC would work + shrimp ,or if “have to have” some crabs.

OP
OP
NoWaiAma

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 Stage BRS RO/DI
Nano 3152 ATO (now reading these can be problematic...)
10GAL ATO reservoir

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good setup. Nice scape.

FYI, I have the same HoB skimmer. It takes time to break in & I recommend a bubble stopper. It may be the loudest thing of all you equipment for a few months.

Are you cycling the tank now? If so, I suggest you switch off the lights, till you complete the entire cycle, for me it took 5-6 weeks.

I never added CUC till I added my 2 clowns. My CUC is 2 hermits and 3 snails for 45gallon and they still rock. So for your tank, I say 2 & 2 of the same. Not now though, only after you add fish. Again SWITCH OFF your lights...

OP
OP
NoWaiAma

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good setup. Nice scape.

FYI, I have the same HoB skimmer. It takes time to break in & I recommend a bubble stopper. It may be the loudest thing of all you equipment for a few months.

Are you cycling the tank now? If so, I suggest you switch off the lights, till you complete the entire cycle, for me it took 5-6 weeks.

I never added CUC till I added my 2 clowns. My CUC is 2 hermits and 3 snails for 45gallon and they still rock. So for your tank, I say 2 & 2 of the same. Not now though, only after you add fish. Again SWITCH OFF your lights...
3 things I have to ask. 1- I read the bubble stopper won’t fit on this set up? 2- I “read” to run high white light for the cycle? I am still in it yes. Post ammonia spike. 3- I was thinking of adding a small cuc prior to my clown pair and letting it settle ?

So many different methods..

OP
OP
NoWaiAma

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Side note. The skimmer is completely silent. If I knew how to post a video...

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! Many people avoid crabs for various reasons. Some detest them (I happen to love crabs). Really up to you depending on what else you keep.

OP
OP
NoWaiAma

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! Many people avoid crabs for various reasons. Some detest them (I happen to love crabs). Really up to you depending on what else you keep.

I like crabs honestly, and I think they’re movement is eye candy. I just keep finding horror stories...

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 things I have to ask. 1- I read the bubble stopper won’t fit on this set up? 2- I “read” to run high white light for the cycle? I am still in it yes. Post ammonia spike. 3- I was thinking of adding a small cuc prior to my clown pair and letting it settle ?

So many different methods..

A. You don’t need the actual bubble stopper. I use a foam/ sponge. It is wedged between the return line of the skimmer outlet and the tubing of my return pump. As the water hits the sponge, it diffuses all the bubbles.

B. It’s been my experience with 4 different setups (fresh and salt water) and I never had algae issues and always use RODI water.
Why NO LIGHT?? So as the nitrogen cycle comes to a finish, the nitrates sky rocket and you are feeding them light to grow algae. Instead, let the cycle complete with out light and do 95% water change. Now when you refill your tank with fresh batch of saltwater, your nutrient levels are very low to zero. After this you have to maintain your tank in balance for everything.

C. For the above methodology, your CUC is a back up at this point. So don’t need to add them sooner. I added mine after a week of the first fish.

Agreed there are many methods. Do what works for you. These are my 0.02

Good luck and happy reefing.....

OP
OP
NoWaiAma

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another very different approach for me. Nice! I’ll kill the lights for the remainder.

Thank you for the change!

OP
OP
NoWaiAma

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A. You don’t need the actual bubble stopper. I use a foam/ sponge. It is wedged between the return line of the skimmer outlet and the tubing of my return pump. As the water hits the sponge, it diffuses all the bubbles.

B. It’s been my experience with 4 different setups (fresh and salt water) and I never had algae issues and always use RODI water.
Why NO LIGHT?? So as the nitrogen cycle comes to a finish, the nitrates sky rocket and you are feeding them light to grow algae. Instead, let the cycle complete with out light and do 95% water change. Now when you refill your tank with fresh batch of saltwater, your nutrient levels are very low to zero. After this you have to maintain your tank in balance for everything.

C. For the above methodology, your CUC is a back up at this point. So don’t need to add them sooner. I added mine after a week of the first fish.

Agreed there are many methods. Do what works for you. These are my 0.02

Good luck and happy reefing.....
Additional questions if you don’t mind. If I do the 95% change, get to temp make sure ph is good and toss in the two fish? Wait until seeing algae then add cuc? I already have some algae

OP
OP
NoWaiAma

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights out now .. this is where I am, better test kits coming

Pic below. Posted wrong one here

Last edited:

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Additional questions if you don’t mind. If I do the 95% change, get to temp make sure ph is good and toss in the two fish? Wait until seeing algae then add cuc? I already have some algae

Give it 2 weeks and see that Nitrites are also "0" and then see how algae is. It should die off with out light source. What kind of algae is this? Brown or green color? Brown is diatoms and should go away on its own.

If you still see it, I say add 2 snails and your fish at the same time. Should not be an issue.

OP
OP
NoWaiAma

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it 2 weeks and see that Nitrites are also "0" and then see how algae is. It should die off with out light source. What kind of algae is this? Brown or green color? Brown is diatoms and should go away on its own.

If you still see it, I say add 2 snails and your fish at the same time. Should not be an issue.
Brown. On the live rock and sand

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brown. On the live rock and sand

Ok, wait it out. Let the cycle complete, do w/c make sure everyone is stable and then add the fish.

It took me 5 weeks. I added 2 Clownfish 4 days after the cycle was complete. In the mean time, did the w/c and did all the above.

OP
OP
NoWaiAma

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far so good 2 fish watchman goby paired well with his pistol buddy and a bicolor bipolar blenny that still hides when he sees me , freaking beautiful fish though . Small cuc of 2 Scarlett hermits 6 snails on the glass (forget name.. black and white shell not the ones that can’t flip..terrible parent here) 1 fighting conch - work horse - 2 banded trochus . Hoping to add my clown pair next week
A838FFFC-F20D-49A3-A265-558AF6491C9F.jpeg
C92AF420-A28A-4952-82AD-7D72D218FCD0.png

OP
OP
NoWaiAma

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s try this.. feel like I definitely need to mount everything to a 2x4 frame Suggestions ?
FBA87073-986B-4C19-B034-B80D1CA20717.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back