JBJ 28g pro UPGRADES?

GreenGenes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ordered a JBJ nano 28g pro, due to arrive tomorrow. Before I even consider cycling I'd like to purchase and install upgrades. It seems there are quite a few and many different models to choose from. This will be a reef tank, I haven't thought to much into livestock, but would love 2 paired clowns, zoos, LPS and easy to keep corals.

I understand most people switch out the stock pumps first, what are proven pumps besides the MJ1200? (it seems people have had trouble fitting them in?)

I'm choosing to buy a skimmer now, to help me pick up slack with water changes and all around better filtration, after reading I believe I've settled on the Aquamaxx HOB-1.

I have already purchased a Koralia 750 (is this overkill??)

Chemipure and purigen in replace of carbon?

Would I be using the middle chamber (overflow) as my refugium? Planned on using LR rubble and Cheato

Chemipure/purigen while cycling? LR and cheato after the cycle completes?

I have a ton of questions I know, I'm a lost lamb in the big world of aquarists.

bnaef17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty happy with the tunze 9004 skimmer for my 33gal AIO. Doing a better job than my old 9002. Just another option to consider if you don't want HOB. I'm not familiar with the aquamax performance.

OP
OP
G

GreenGenes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen good reviews on the aquamaxx, the space the DT goes in has ample room around it so the extra space the skimmer takes up shouldnt matter. This may give me more room for a refugium in the back. (although I don't know this because the unit isnt here yet). thanks for the reply, once it gets here I'll take a look and see. The tunze is cheaper...but everything in this hobby seems expensive :)

kurtyboh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything I've read about the aquamaxx has been good, dead silent and efficient...tough to beat that combo!
The 750 might be overkill if you are planning on brains or other low/med flow guys especially after upgrading the returns. I have stock returns and a 420 if I don't use the wavemaker I have about the perfect flow rate for what I've got, but each tank is different, not going to hurt to try out the 750.

OP
OP
G

GreenGenes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply Kurt.

I was hoping maybe the stock pumps would work, and the 750 would make up the difference. Do you prefer the wavemaker opposed to leaving them on 24/7?

The only thing really baffling me now is should I use Chemipure or purigen (or both) during the cycle?

Tek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Koralia 750 will be a bit overkill unless you plan on bouncing it off a glass and it will cause a shadow in the tank due to the size. I use 2 Koralia 425 nanos on a wave maker but my 2 stock returns put out enough flow even for SPS. I have the JBJ 30G and upgraded the returns to maxijet 1200s.

kurtyboh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@greengenes, I run both powerheads on at night and wave during the day. Its not an automatic switch so it does get forgotten about once in a while but, I do notice some cyano if i dont have enough flow for a few days, just running everything at night seems to correct this issue.

It would not harm anything to run those during the cycle, although they will likely have to be replaced quicker than normal. jmo though, really seems to be pretty well split on the decision.

jayhawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran two 28g JBJ's for a few years before my 65g upgrade. I used rio pumps for the returns. They are the smallest pumps I could find. They fit perfectly in outer chambers and fit snug in the two inner chambers. The 800's series provide the max flow. The model goes down to 600, 400, 200. I ran a 600 on one side and 400 on the other. I modified the outlets to hydro FLO water deflectors. It provides a wave maker type current. If you are interested I can tell you the mod I did. If you try and use them with the stock adapters, they will fall off. In the overflow I used an "InTank" media basket. It was much better than the stock. I put chemipure, denitrate rocks, and phosguard in the three compartments. The issue for me was the lack of space in the sump area. If I were to do it over, I would get the "innovative marine" nano reactor and run bio pellets. I use the bigger "innovative marine" for my GFO. I really like it. Any other questions, just ask...

OP
OP
G

GreenGenes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply Kurt, Jay.

Kurt I decided to just run the carbon and sponge in the basket, after the cycle I'll throw in the chemipur/purigen.

Jay,
these rio 800's:

Amazon.com: Rio Plus 800 Aqua Pump/Powerhead- 211 Gallons per Hour, 13 Watts: Pet Supplies

I started running the tank tonight...and posted this thread where I look like a complete idiot :/

https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/nano-reefs/149413-jbj-28g-did-i-not-fill-enough.html

Icant see how someone could put a filter basket chaeto and liverock all in that one compartment, its tiny.

jayhawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are the correct rio's. They offer skimmer pumps and regular pumps. Do not get the skimmer type. I read your other thread on filling the tank. My biggest gripe was keeping the pumps in the chambers covered in water. I didn't run an ATO. It's such a small volume of water. It became a pain to manually fill. The waterfall noise is inevitable. I found that the black sponges decreased the sound. Without the sponges I got more noise and micro bubbles. The sponge prevents the water from splashing.

OP
OP
G

GreenGenes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay, I went ahead and got two 600's.

Now if I can only figure out a way to run the cord from my koralia out of the tank without the hood being lopsided

jayhawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The back of the hood has what looks to be knockouts (right rear). They are half moon shaped. You can take a dremel with a stone bit and grind the material away. It will allow the clearance you need. The stone bit is crude but you can trim it with a razor to clean it up.

OP
OP
G

GreenGenes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AWESOME! found them. That's now my project for the day. Thanks so much!

OP
OP
G

GreenGenes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id have done the same if jay didn't mention it. Works great, just dremel enough for the cord, since you'll have the hood off anyways no need yo do the whole knockout.

kurtyboh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive found them, thanks guys. Just not going to do it until we move since I break down my tank in a month.

OP
OP
G

GreenGenes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay you sparked my interest in the GFO. I kept seeing GFO mentioned then looked it up here on the forums and understand it a bit better now.

would running something like the two little fishes 150 reactor with phosban or GFO work? I'm seeing you could hook two of these up inline and add carbon in the other? what type of pump would I use on these? And would I be able to just run a sponge in the overflow with refugium in the center column if I ran two reactors?

After reading more into RO/DI water I realize I only own a 3 stage RO unit, no DI. My unit is going on 2 year old, doesn't have a flush valve...needs new filters (14 ppm). So I sprang for the Spectrapure RO/DI 90. I figure I will use my old Hydrologic for the garden, anythings better then 440ppm tap water.

My tank still shows no signs of ammonia (set up two weeks ago), have had diatoms, have tons of white bugs on the glass (copepods?). Feeding small amounts of fish food daily...patiently waiting on ammonia :/

The Koralia 750 is way overkill...wont stop moving my sand. Gonna order either two koralia nano 220 or one 425 and one 220 and put them on the wavemaker.4

2014-02-17_17-46-51_851.jpg

kurtyboh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
14ppm isn't bad at all for no di resin. Also I don't know if it's worth it to you but you can buy a canister and di cartridge from bulk reef supply as well as many other places.

I have "upgraded" my sponge filter with some filter floss and a small pad of 100micron felt.
I have to replace the felt weekly but it picks up a lot of crap.

OP
OP
G

GreenGenes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must correct my above statement. My water is 4 ppm not 14 ppm. I check it daily, 3 stage: sediment>carbon>RO. My TDS meter is on par with the 342ppm calibration solution I have. Would I place the DI canister after my RO?

Honestly I cant believe its 4ppm on 2 year old filters.

kurtyboh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are marine grade filters they should last for a few thousand gallons, from what I have read. The resin does indeed go after the ro membrane. Its incredibly easy to add, fill the fill the cartridge, drop it in the canister plug your existing filtered water in run a new line out and your gold. 5 minutes if that.

Back