JBJ 45 AIO Newbie

punkieg0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I should start by saying I thought I would be making a build on a Red Sea Max 250 that I scored an amazing deal on...but drove all the way to get it and found a crack in the tank. So they gave me everything hoping I could use it and I at least have the stand now :)
So I purchased the JBJ 45 AIO on 9/1 and gleefully anticipated it's arrival.
I decided to start working on my aquascape which has been annoying frustrating. I have so many examples that I am trying to achieve but it is really not that easy- Seems to be more rubble created at this point.
nhqdd2HFSKK8WMiZ+S9dGg.jpg

Anyway..flash forward to yesterday 9/11 my tank is delivered and I can't wait to get it unboxed after work tonight....

The extreme joy was short-lived tonight
dvRJTIgsRZO4iMNbPanNxw.jpg

This is from the rear sump area and it could just be some gouges into the back but when I contacted JBJ they advised me to stop unboxing and they have escalated it up to management to find the best solution. Not sure what that means just yet but all plans are on hold for this tank right now. Not sure if I am hoping they say don't worry about it or if I want to wait another 10 days for a new tank to arrive. Either way I don't want a flood of water in my house so I will just let the follow their process. The styrofoam the tank sits on it broken in a bunch of areas so something happened on this tanks journey.

My tank build might start with rockwork for a while :)
Meanwhile here is what I have picked up for the tank so far
30lbs of rock
Tunze 9400 protein skimmer
IceCap 1k gyre

Since I don't know what all goes into a rear sump I am still working on that bit.

I'll post my stock list tomorrow when I have it in front of me. I really want to grow coral so the plan for lights will be T5 Hybrid with Kessil.
Once I have a tank up I will be ghost feeding to get started and letting it go slow. I don't care how long all of this takes at this point. It's going to be winter soon enough- I have nothing better to do :)

I have posted so many questions and thoughts on the forum I am excited to begin.

Tihsho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks on the Redsea crack and then this tank issue. I hope they resolve it quickly. Depending on who you ordered it from they may be able to just send you a replacement. I would be after that just for peace of mind.

Your rockscape looks like you've spent some time chiseling away, I just went through that yesterday!

McGene

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hang in there. The JBJ45 is a nice AIO setup and there are a number of really good upgrades for it. Keep us posted on your progress and the support you get from JBJ.

OP
OP
punkieg0

punkieg0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spoke with JBJ this week and they are replacing the tank. So now I just wait for delivery. Hoping this week I might be able to get the tank set up and start this build!

I had posted somewhere previously but didn't get any replies on what should I all be looking to put into the rear sump section? I have the skimmer, some ceramic rings and it comes with 2 filter socks. Beyond that I am a little clueless as to what I should be adding into my sump.

Dempsey941

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also look up CJAquariums JBJ 45 on youtube, he added couple of other things to his sump area.

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also look up CJAquariums JBJ 45 on youtube, he added couple of other things to his sump area.

CJ’s 45 build was awesome. Great videos too.

I’m currently in the process of upgrading mine. Just bought the Tunze 9004 DC skimmer and two intank media baskets. The baskets have polyfilter pads and filter floss on top, pond matrix in the middle, and a bag of carbon and gfo on the bottom.

Going to be upgrading the pump to the Tunze 1073.05 as in the MarineDepot video, and getting an Icecap Gyre.

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a jbj 45 also. I converted mine to run off a sump.

Off that pic you posted, it’s just a gouge in the coating on the back of the tank. They put a rubber/plastic type coating on it. It also wraps around 4” on the sides.

If they let you keep the old tank, just take a razor blade and scrape some more off to verify.

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cant wait to see it up and running. I'll agree with @Jay Z, as it looks just like the coating is scratched. I have the 65-rl and I took off a section of mine to add the Chaetomaxx led grow light and I put cheato in one of the back chambers. You can see how I did it in my build thread.

OP
OP
punkieg0

punkieg0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CJ’s 45 build was awesome. Great videos too.

I’m currently in the process of upgrading mine. Just bought the Tunze 9004 DC skimmer and two intank media baskets. The baskets have polyfilter pads and filter floss on top, pond matrix in the middle, and a bag of carbon and gfo on the bottom.

Going to be upgrading the pump to the Tunze 1073.05 as in the MarineDepot video, and getting an Icecap Gyre.

So you do this in place of the filter socks then? I was looking at those baskets but wasn’t sure what to put in there. I have a bag of carbon that came with another setup that I can use.
I also have the icecap gyre and the same skimmer you do.

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you do this in place of the filter socks then? I was looking at those baskets but wasn’t sure what to put in there. I have a bag of carbon that came with another setup that I can use.
I also have the icecap gyre and the same skimmer you do.

Yup, I have an InTank basket in each overflow chamber. Just installed them last week but I’m really happy I did. They are designed to force the water to flow through the media, not just around it. They are a perfect fit in the chambers. Instead of a filter sock I use cheap filter floss. Easier to replace once soiled and cheap.

How do you like they gyre and skimmer? I need to order the gyre still but have had my skimmer up since Friday. Also really liking the Tunze.

OP
OP
punkieg0

punkieg0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replacement tank will be delivered Thursday, which means this weekend will be filling and starting the tank! What a great way to spend a rainy fall weekend in Wisconsin :) I will update as the build starts to come together this week!

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replacement tank will be delivered Thursday, which means this weekend will be filling and starting the tank! What a great way to spend a rainy fall weekend in Wisconsin :) I will update as the build starts to come together this week!

Sounds like a great weekend! Glad they are replacing the tank for you.

OP
OP
punkieg0

punkieg0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on the aquascape tonight and getting some Jurassic Gel in there. Spent half the night doing that and the rest of the night trying to get the glue off my hands.
FD32861B-1E73-47B6-A150-381510D85656.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back