JBJ ATO

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a bulk package of used aquarium equipment, I got myself a JBJ ATO that I am working on setting up.

Downloaded the manual, and watched the BRS video on set up.

What doesn't get explained is how much does the water level have to drop for it to kick in? The float has 0.5" of travel top to bottom. Seems like a pretty substantial amount of water if the float has to drop all the way. Or does it kick in as soon as it detects a drop in water level?

Having never used an ATO before, what is a good sized flow rate for a pump? My tank is only 55 gallons.

Suggestions for securing the tubing so it doesn't flop out of the tank?

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping this up with a little bit of information.

So float valves work off of switches, and when the float drops low enough, it turns the switch "on" and that turns the pump on, which puts water back in the tank. So adjusting where the float is will adjust when it turns on, etc.

As for flow rate...I'm not really sure? My 55 will drop anywhere from less than half a gallon a day throughout the year, to over 2-3 gallons a day during winter.

As for tubing securing, binder clips work well (although they'll rust if they have metal), and there's also the airline tubing suction cups as well.

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't need to travel the entire .5" to sense the change. They're quite sensitive if the float switch is clean and working properly. Also a .5" drop in your sump return section will be negligible.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know, thank you. I'll have to do some experimenting with it.

For now it's going to be in my 55, which doesn't have a sump, but eventually will be used in one.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's see.... 48" x 13" * .5" translates to about 1.4 US gallons, so it shouldn't be too drastic of a change in salinity even if it takes a full .5" to drop!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 17 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.5%
Back