JBJ chiller placement?

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instruction says 1 foot clear in the back and front for proper ventilation.

I have 5 inches away from the wall and infinite space in front.

Am I good with that in the back? Just making sure others have done similar and all is okay.

I would have to redo the hoses to be longer if all say hi need 12 inches, I foot from the wall.

I have unions if I have to do longer hoses to gain the extra 7 inches the manual says.

received_482834719828071.jpeg received_825849345016307.jpeg received_292531885585878.jpeg received_1086370241860047.jpeg

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need the proper clearance back there as the back is where the hot exhaust exits. You want the unit to properly breathe so to speak. If you can’t change the plumbing, then maybe run a small fan back there to help direct the hot exhaust away from the back.

OP
OP
Micro-Reefs Aquarium

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ceiling fan, with three speeds I sometimes use. Had I read the darn instructions I would have given it the 12 inches it recommends. The hot air is not getting trapped it is escaping without any problem and the wall just gets warm not hot or restricted. It is dropping the temp well, I have unions so it it can be extended, just a pain in the wrong area, that I wanted to avoid. I will see what others say about the distance they have against the back wall and then pull the trigger, thanks.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the thing though, it’s about venting the hot air away from the back of the unit properly so that the unit can cool efficiently. I run a JBJ chiller. In the summer it gets hot as it runs.

Even with the foot of clearance behind my unit, I still ended up changing things around so that the back of my unit sits by a window with an Apex controlled window fan set to exhaust whenever the chiller kicks on. Fortunately for me, my unit is plumbed with soft vinyl tubing, so switching things around wasn’t so bad.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Mine is under the tank off the corner where it can vent

OP
OP
Micro-Reefs Aquarium

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the thing though, it’s about venting the hot air away from the back of the unit properly so that the unit can cool efficiently. I run a JBJ chiller. In the summer it gets hot as it runs.

Even with the foot of clearance behind my unit, I still ended up changing things around so that the back of my unit sits by a window with an Apex controlled window fan set to exhaust whenever the chiller kicks on. Fortunately for me, my unit is plumbed with soft vinyl tubing, so switching things around wasn’t so bad.
Great thanks for the valuable feedback, I also have vinyl rubbing with two unions. It will be that I need to cut longer tubing and then I insulate the hoses, I am running my tank very cold to 55F degrees for my temperate system from California.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back