Jbj RL 45

austin55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum and am also fairly new to saltwater so I wanted to share my build and also get suggestions and criticism! I have ordered a jbj RL 45 all in one tank from Dr fosters and smith which arrived yesterday all smashed so the are sending me another one. I'm not very happy about the site and how they packed and shipped it but I'm giving them another chance. I have also ordered a maxspect razor 120watt 16k which I got on sale for black friday. I am now in the market for a heater and controller for it and also a skimmer. The skimmer I have liked so far is the tunze 9004. Please give suggestion anything will help thank you!

NobleSun27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well what are you trying to do? Corals? Fish only? Sps? softies?
I have a reef octopus skimmer and for the price am very happy with it. I have a 75g mixed reef, I have everything from blue and red mushrooms to frogspawn, acans and acros. I use T5 lighting (6 bulb).

FishnFriendz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R&R
I have JBJ 30RL. Currently using the same light you have Maxspect Razor 120 watt, and also Tunze 9004 Skimmer. Mine is mix reef and I start it since April 2014. So far my tank is doing ok, my suggest for you is investing on Auto Top Off system also. It helps a lot...
Also for the light, I start it with very low setting for the first few months... below 50% either White or Blue. Then I slowly raising them a bit graduate. I am still experiencing with this light.

OP
OP
A

austin55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not positive on exactly what corals I want but I want fish and corals. I don't wanna be limited to anything in case I wanna do harder corals later on. What ato do you have? How do you have your ro system and everything set up?

NobleSun27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my RO outside on the back porch with a 50 gallon brute trashcan and I use a 10 gallon tank for my ATO which I have to fill up about once a week. I just keep my brute container full of fresh (no mixing salt). I think the ATO is ATI and it has been working good for about 2 years know. Ever since I added the ATO and my dosing pumps its been smooth sailing. Those 2 pieces to me are priceless, it makes things so easy. You can get the same ATO I am using from DR. fosters and smith for like $70 or so. I have used Dr. Fosters and smith for a while know and never had any problems. FYI

FishnFriendz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh just a quick edited.. I am currently using Razor 420R (160Watt).
My tank 30G JBL..but I drilled for the sump. And I am very glad that I have made that move.
MP10wES
Eheim Compact Pump
Tunze 9004 skimmer
Tunze 3155 Auto Top Off

I am also have small RO system (from Costco) which shares with our daily cooking water, water the plants and for our fish tank.
I am manually dosing SeaChem part1 and 2. (10ml/day)

Only 5 fish: a pair of Davinci Clown, Yellow Coris Wrasse, and 2 Purple Fire Fish.

Corals: Mix :)

OP
OP
A

austin55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: received my second tank today after my first one came in smashed from Dr fosters and smith and needless to say the second one is smashed also. I told them it needed to be packed better when I called them and in came exactly like the first. I am extremely ******. Now I have 4 huge packages I need to send back and I'm getting my money back. I will never order another product from them again. With that said where should I buy my tank so I can receive it in one piece? It don't have to be the exact tank but something very similar

Gopi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm ordering the same tank from Marine Depot in a couple weeks. They have a very good record for shipping these tanks and the reviews say it's packed well plus they ship the tank for free. I was looking at the the Tunze and the Slim Skim Nano for a skimmer.

Tek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered my JBJ 30G from Marine Depot and thankfully it came in one piece but I have read stories of others receiving broken tanks. Sometimes I feel it ia due to the carriers. Marine Depot will usually exchange without the hassle of returning the damaged item.

Tek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually bought the slim skim nano but it was not very good as a skimmer and was finicky. The impeller broke on me the first few months but Hydor sent a replacement.

I believe cad lights has a pipeless skimmer that may fit the center section of my 30G. The 45G has a larger section so I would suggest that as a good option.

OP
OP
A

austin55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I've been looking into a couple aquariums since I have to start over. What are you thoughts on cadlights? Sca? And DSA?

Tek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no personal experience with them but have seen a few from build threads which look great. Are you looking for an all in one or plumbing a sump?

OP
OP
A

austin55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not really sure. At first I was looking into a all in one but now I see bigger tanks with a sump. Idk if a sump is to complex for me right now or not I'm pretty confused

Tek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is best to have a sump and setting one up is extremely easy if the tank is reef ready. The all in one is compact and simple if space is limited and it happens to sit on a counter, but your equipment choices will be very limited.

drice6900

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After much research, I ordered my 45RL through my LFS. I may have paid a little more than DF&S, but it shipped perfectly. My LFS puts together one big order every other month or so with another store in the area, so I just had to time it to their schedule. Very happy with it.

I am building up all my supplies over the next month or so, and plan on using a Kessil 360WE for lighting, Apex controller, and Tunze ATO. I also am waiting on InTank to get their baskets in stock in the next week or so. Hope to have everything up and running after the new year :)

OP
OP
A

austin55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered my 180 marineland aquarium 72x24x24! I'm extremely excited it will be here thursday. I'm in the market for led lights, a sump, and a skimmer. What's everyone's thoughts pics will be up soon!

Gopi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great jump in size! I wish I could go that big. Where did you order from? Did you get it pre-drilled or do you plan to drill it (or not drill it)?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 55 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 16 11.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 39 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back