JC's Nuvo 10

JALIASC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All!
After a few year break from the hobby the desire for a tank was too strong to subdue. Sticker price has led me to a NUVO 10 to get my feet wet again and I am super excited.
This tank with be mostly for LPS but will also include a flower nem and potentially a ricordea.

for now the equipment includes a Kessil A80, Small Sicce return pump, jager heater, and a GHL mini controller. I’m toying with the idea of an auto water change system since I travel a bit for work, but that’s on the back burner for now.

current status: cycled using Fritz Turbo and after a week ammonia levels are basically zero so I added some macro algae. Gonna give it a few weeks to confirm stability then it’s on to adding corals!

AF8C6D39-8448-4450-AAB8-79364C4502AE.jpeg

OP
OP
JALIASC

JALIASC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Progress! New year and there is now life in the tank, super thrilled with how things are turning out.
Current livestock: euphyllia, encrusting monti, ricordea, and a couple of trochus snails and sexy shrimp.

FD01F242-0383-4B8D-8982-FDB765021E84.jpeg

OP
OP
JALIASC

JALIASC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More fun has been had, added an orange and white Acan!! Next purchases will likely be a blasto or fungia...hoping to get all corals settled before adding fish (purple firefish and neon goby).

Was able to buy some test kits as well for peace of mind and all seems good:
- Alk: 9
- Ca: 420
- Mg: 1320

Bintis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my own Nuvo 10 going. About a month up now. Amazing live rock from Kp Aquatics. AI prime 16 HD LED. (Heavy on blue, less on purple and UV, very low white, no red, negligible amount of green.) Reef Glass protein skimmer which is working great. Pump that came with the tank was a bit too much flow even on the lowest setting, so I attached a spinstream nozzle which subdued the flow nicely. Lots of CUC. Turbo, Cerriith, Astrea snails. Hermit crabs. Pincushion Urchins. Had a bit of brown diatom and turf algae, but changing lights to current spectrum and CUC seem to have all but diminished the expected algae blooms. Water parameters on point. Waiting on a few corals now from Tidal Gardens. And that’s my story.

OP
OP
JALIASC

JALIASC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my own Nuvo 10 going. About a month up now. Amazing live rock from Kp Aquatics. AI prime 16 HD LED. (Heavy on blue, less on purple and UV, very low white, no red, negligible amount of green.) Reef Glass protein skimmer which is working great. Pump that came with the tank was a bit too much flow even on the lowest setting, so I attached a spinstream nozzle which subdued the flow nicely. Lots of CUC. Turbo, Cerriith, Astrea snails. Hermit crabs. Pincushion Urchins. Had a bit of brown diatom and turf algae, but changing lights to current spectrum and CUC seem to have all but diminished the expected algae blooms. Water parameters on point. Waiting on a few corals now from Tidal Gardens. And that’s my story.
Sounds like a great start, do you have a build thread/pictures?

Bintis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a great start, do you have a build thread/pictures?
Pictures suck because of the heavy blue spectrum unfortunately.I do keep a daily spreadsheet however of testing, water changes, supplement addition, livestock updates etc. Helps me know where I’ve been and where I’m headed. Maintenance is key.

OP
OP
JALIASC

JALIASC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank update: lost the acan and encrusting monti but the euphyillia is thriving! Got a couple of small branches throughout the long "stalk" at varying levels of maturity.

The 2 trochus snails are doing an awesome job keeping the tank and glass clean. Both sexy shrimp are still chilling, 1 on the euphyllia and the other found its way into the "sump".

Next steps: Will probably go coral shopping at LFS next weekend, add protein skimmer to help the air stone with aeration, mount apex (finally), set up doser for automatic water changes, and then cord management.

Current Parameters:
- Alk: 9
- Ca: 420
- Mg: 1400
- Nitrate: 0.5 (slowly increasing over the weeks so I'm happy)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back