jda's 240g Acropora Rebuild

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It happens lol. Colony to the left of the pic got knocked off by my hippo a while back. Once it gets to a point it is bound to happen. The colony only had about 3/8" holding it onto the rock. I fragged it up, gave most away, put some back and just last week it happened again lol. Seems it is in the way of where the hippo wants to swim lol.

tempImage7jU0Xj.png

tempImageDXrCyW.png

I’m ready to get rid of my Hippo tang. He’s way to obnoxious. Beautiful fish, but I’d say reef safe with CAUTION. He’s fragged my whole tank.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some that are similar.

First is Gonzo's Cookie Monster. IMO, this is the best of these types of corals... just wonderful for my eyes.
Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 4.11.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 4.14.50 PM.png

Next one is Route 66 Merlin's Staff. The last one is Battlecorals Space Laser. Merlins Staff under just a bit more light. Put me down for these being the same coral - would like to know if somebody has both and has a different opinion. One of these might have to go.
Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 4.11.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 4.12.02 PM.png

Are you sure that’s a Merlin’s staff? :)

IMG_9442.jpeg

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to sound dumb but what’s a Z&P tank? I’ve never heard that term used. My mind goes to Zoa & Paly?
Correct. I don’t know why @jda isn‘t sharing pictures when I’ve politely asked. Hmm.

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started to catalog lots of my extra equipment. One room of HQI and m80 ballasts. I have a sickness.

10x AquaMedic m80 Cubes, 1 for Parts - Holy Grail Ballasts
3x Double AquaMedic Ocean Light Ballasts - Not HQI, but close
1x Hamilton m80
1x CoraLife HQI - m80, I think, Not Sure
3x m80 Ocean Light
3x Dual PFO m80 - Real Holy Grail
2x Single PFO m90 - Real Holy Grail

I have a sickness. These do not include the ones that I am using and I am pretty sure that I have 5-6 AquaMedic Cubes in the basement somewhere and probably another 1 or two PFO Duals.

Screenshot 2023-07-29 at 10.27.16 AM.png

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe it or not, I don't remember ever going though this thread in the past!
Love it, Doug!
Thanks for sharing.
Hope you're doing great!

David_CO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started to catalog lots of my extra equipment. One room of HQI and m80 ballasts. I have a sickness.

1x Hamilton m80
3x m80 Ocean Light

I have a sickness. These do not include the ones that I am using and I am pretty sure that I have 5-6 AquaMedic Cubes in the basement somewhere and probably another 1 or two PFO Duals.

looks like the old back area of aqua imports lol

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1x Hamilton m80
3x m80 Ocean Light

you have a pepsi machine?

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you have a pepsi machine?

Of course, but it is filled with RC and Coke stuff. The most efficient way to keep lots of cans or bottles of things on hand. They are built like tanks, efficient to operate and you can make money on your kids leaving half-drunk cans all over the house - kidding, it is set to free vend. It makes a nice night light in the garage too.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sry didn't realize this was your build thread, love your content and information looking forward to seeing your tank updates and more pictures!

Last edited:

Ex_Ex_Parrot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Food shipment is in. 10 kilos of mysis, 10 pounds of pacific plankton and 5 pounds of Carribean Mixed Seafood and Roe from Brine Shrimp Direct.

If I have not said this before, the mini freezer in my storage/fish room is a marriage saver. My wife has never had an issue with my tanks or other hobbies, but she hated if I got sloppy with the frozen fish food or frozen mice when I used to breed snakes. Probably the best few hundy that I ever spent.

Screen Shot 2022-04-01 at 4.08.28 PM.png
As someone very appreciative of the advice I've received- I'm absolutely doing this

My wife has big issues with certain smells and figuring out ways to handle t is going to be my other big project with setting up a tank and I've been looking for tank stands with enough room in a cabinet to house a small frig for this very specific reason and I think she'll also appreciate it.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to reboot about every three years and I am going to document this time. In about May, I took out all of my large SPS and started over with frags from .5 to 1.5 inches, or so. I removed some colonies the size of dinner plates, cantaloupes and stags that were 12 by 16 inches. I left the clams and some of my slower growing frags. Some of the old colonies started to grow again from the base.

After spending about a month getting rid of some algae, apitasia and sponge that was hidden deep beneath colonies, I mounted some stuff in June and some has really taken off and some is going slower.

These photos are under 14k Phoenix on m80 with no supplemental lighting and no editing. This is the way that they came out of my phone - for better or worse.

I got a waterproof iPhone case just for this and I don't have a lot of good photos from before. Here is an example of what I took out...

Here are some of the new ones.

RR Pink Cadillac

BC Skinny Love - Yes, this is the real color

JKR Rainbow

AV99 Orange Crush

RR Wolverine - this is more purple and yellow in real life

My Two Blue Squamosas - my pride and joys... the little one is about three inches if you need some scale

BC Set for Stun - this one is more teal in real life and is one of the nicest pieces

ORA Pearlberry - did not mean to take this one out, but another colony fell on it and destroyed it :(

RMF Red Gecko - might be worst photo of them all, this one is more white and red but will show growth I guess

Efflo

JF Homewrecker

Westside Rainbow Tort

Tyree Superman

Fast Growing Deepwater

BC Space Laser

Electric Red Millepora -this one shines and really is this red in real life without any tricks

...more to come.
Do you still have the westside rainbow tort? I have a westside tort, just looking to see if is the same as the rainbow.
IMG_20231127_181412927.jpg

Reefanatik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1x Hamilton m80
3x m80 Ocean Light

I have 3 Hamilton M80 ballast and 3 Caymun Sun 250W reflectors that i don't use anymore. 3 Radium bulbs that have maybe 4 months of use and a bunch of other bulbs that i never got rid of from trying different color variations. i transitioned to full LED a few months ago and now i just have them in a closet.

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 Hamilton M80 ballast and 3 Caymun Sun 250W reflectors that i don't use anymore. 3 Radium bulbs that have maybe 4 months of use and a bunch of other bulbs that i never got rid of from trying different color variations. i transitioned to full LED a few months ago and now i just have them in a closet.

Expect to get some PMs from people who want to buy the m80 ballasts. :) Of course, you might want to keep them in case the LEDs don't turn out how you expect - give them another 6 months to fully see. My guess is that you will be able to tell some differences, but you might not care enough about them to change back. Many people have changed back as they watched their corals change over 6-9 months of not having the MH - the differences mattered too much to them.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Expect to get some PMs from people who want to buy the m80 ballasts. :) Of course, you might want to keep them in case the LEDs don't turn out how you expect - give them another 6 months to fully see. My guess is that you will be able to tell some differences, but you might not care enough about them to change back. Many people have changed back as they watched their corals change over 6-9 months of not having the MH - the differences mattered too much to them.
Yes you will get pm'ed, lol. Thats how I sold one set and just gave away another minus shipping, all m80's too.
I would love to see the actual difference from people who have went from one to the other.
Only real difference I saw was some color differences.
I did not see any health or growth issue when changing.
Maybe I did not look hard enough as its just an observation.
If you have any reference with pic's and not just what people have said I would love to follow.
I will do a search and see what I can find.

I was a big led skeptic, halides forever, until I actually ran leds and then pulled my halides.

Not looking for an led vs halide debate as they all work if you know what your doing.

I am interested in the changes people got from switching.
Thanks.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you will get pm'ed, lol. Thats how I sold one set and just gave away another minus shipping, all m80's too.
I would love to see the actual difference from people who have went from one to the other.
Only real difference I saw was some color differences.
I did not see any health or growth issue when changing.
Maybe I did not look hard enough as its just an observation.
If you have any reference with pic's and not just what people have said I would love to follow.
I will do a search and see what I can find.

I was a big led skeptic, halides forever, until I actually ran leds and then pulled my halides.

Not looking for an led vs halide debate as they all work if you know what your doing.

I am interested in the changes people got from switching.
Thanks.
Heat problems forced me out of T5 (8X80 watt ATI) to LEDS (ATI Straton). While I do not have heat problems anymore, I still have too much acro growth and related competition/shading/flow trouble. Another reef tear down needed soon.

LEDS do plenty. All three work well.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back